Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit Cards - Soon No Signature Required
If you use a credit card for purchases at stores in East Hawaii (and everywhere else) you may notice some changes in April, as many businesses will no longer require that you sign a receipt for your purchase. Here's the updated info I received this morning:

Soon you won't need to ask your customers to sign receipts to complete in-person transactions. Beginning April 2018, the major card associations – American Express®, Discover®, Mastercard® and Visa® – will no longer require a cardholder's signature at checkout. This speeds up the checkout process, and can help create an overall positive experience for your customers.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

* If you want to continue requiring a cardholder's signature – regardless of the transaction amount – that's okay. Chip-enabled point-of-sale systems will still support signature as a cardholder verification method. Check with your point-of-sale solution provider to understand your options.
* For Visa, no signature required only applies to businesses using chip-enabled devices.

There will probably be some differences at individual stores (and whether or not you have a chip enabled VISA), but hopefully it will shave a few seconds off each transaction - - good for long lines at KTA or that person in front of you who struggles with a pen.

If you want to combine the dual pleasures of insanity and social acceptance, religion is your only choice. - Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Most of my transactions using chip are already without signature, if the purchase is below some unknown and arbitrary threshold.

ACE Hardware in Pahoa and Malama Market have done this for over a year.
unknown and arbitrary threshold

Yes, Home Depot too.
The amount was $50.00.
Soon it will be for any amount, and at almost every store.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Show of hands!

How many people here look at their monthly statement and compare it with receipts to check for errors?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Show of hands -- How many people still write out paper checks in stores?? (Eh....who holding up da line?)
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

...How many people here look at their monthly statement and compare it with receipts to check for errors?

I do. Compare statement with the log on my "Income and Expense" spreadsheet. [Smile]
To ? about checking CC statement against receipts... I do. Sort of. I look to see if there's anything I don't recognize. I DO keep all receipts and check them every few months against QuickBooks file after cc bill is paid bc there might be a business expense in there I hadn't accounted for. But i'm not checking for errors. I don't think I've seen a mistake in years.

And haven't written a check in a store in years.
I check to make sure there aren't any unauthorized charges, but don't go through all my receipts. I guess if someone somehow duplicated my card and then used it at one of the stores I regularly go to, I wouldn't notice. A few months ago I did find it was used for about $5 worth of charges to a Brazilian web hosting company, which was weird. They had already refunded it by the time I got the statement, too. Maybe someone testing to see if you notice?
I used Quicken for years .

Now I just review my statement on line.

I have alerts set up that go off with my set limit of activity and with electronic banking no one can forge a check .
I get texts from my credit card company for everything over $5, so I can check my receipts in real time. Still should probably check the statements to ensure the bank is not screwing something up. Does anyone recommend software for checking and analyzing your electronic bank statements? Some years back "Mint" was popular.