Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna land prices?
This bickering is silly. The point is that property is like anything else. there are bargins and then there are NOT bargins. Educate yourself. There are bankers , lawyers realtors and all the rest because there is money to be made. To change to another topic, ever hear anyone say they invested in a car. Now that's an oxymoron.

And, seriously, one needs to draw a distinction between land and housing prices. These are two different markets. I personally believe land is or can be a good investment. Housing on the other hand is a different ballgame. and housing prices in Hawaii are VERY interesting, if you want to talk bubble.

I was just checking out HIS...you know, MANY of those homes that are sitting there were the same homes that were there last October when we first started looking at them. I mean, some of them are really nice looking. A few of them we visited while on the Island in June...just doesn't make sense. But what I HAVE noticed is how dramatically the prices have dropped! Even the ones that were already in the lower ranges have dropped by 20K to 25K!

Carrie

"The opportunities to reach into the lives of others in an inspiring way arise in countless ways every single day..." Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
"But what I HAVE noticed is how dramatically the prices have dropped! Even the ones that were already in the lower ranges have dropped by 20K to 25K!"

According to Nostrodamus I mean Rabi this is just temporary. Once the buyers realize they is nothing to fear the greed will come back. Buy now or you'll pay more later...that is if you believe him.

Alrighty then. Bystander...you almost sound bitter about real estate agents. Did you have a bad experience or something?

Carrie

"The opportunities to reach into the lives of others in an inspiring way arise in countless ways every single day..." Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art

Edited by - carolann r on 07/26/2006 13:13:50
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Puna Land prices too high? Bubble burst?
Typically home sales represent 8-10% of the economy. In 2005, it represented 17% or 3.4% standard deviation from mean.

The following items taken together may show a more complete picture of the Puna trees in the US forest.

I think the REA's have answered #3 & #5. and can answer #4. Maybe bystander can answer #7?

1)Demographics
2)Construction activity
3)Home sales and inventories
4)Rental vacancies and absorptions
5)Prices and costs
6)Mortgage rates and volume
7)Macroeconomic indicators

Anyone else have a speciality?

-Cat

Edited by - kapohocat on 07/26/2006 14:10:18
The following are recent SELECTED sales to illustrate a point. data from MLS

number asking sale price date
163484 324,500 329,500 7-11
171585 610,000 610,000 7-12
176532 34,900 34,900 7-10
161723 328,000 328,000 7-14
176223 239,500 250,500 7-14
178083 260,000 275,500 7-14
161721 458,000 458,000
171780 1,250,000 1,250,000 6-23
178909 65,000 65,000 7-17
177012 399,000 399,000 7-19
179169 57,000 60,000 7-21
172441 179,900 182,000
178264 219,000 229,000 7-21
176939 21,900 22,000 7-03

There are more. Each of these brought full price or more than asking. And yes, in this same period many properties brought less than asking. But my point is that there are always, no matter what the market, properties which are fairly priced and perceived as worthwhile. That is not going to change. No matter what.

Edited by - lee dejongh on 07/26/2006 14:34:41
Lee,

Possibly the difference is that it looks like they haven't reappraised the one lower evaluation yet. I think lots of folks were complaining of the giant increases in evaluations a few months back. Not sure if these were all done on all the properties yet? Otherwise who knows, the one property may not be very buildable? Have you been by them?

Did you go to the county site and look up the currant evaluations? Or just going from the sales sheet. Since one property was listed before the other, sometimes the new evaluation is just not updated on the sales sheet.
Lucy
quote:
181768 tax key 3-1-5-53-38 assessed value 74K
taxes $618 price 100K

173215 tax key 3-1-5-53-39 assessed value 24K
taxes $236 price 79K

These are both on the corner of Kaloli and 1st in HPP, across 1st from each other.

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai
Lucy

Lucy

yes I saw them, practically identical. Both very buildable. I am going by the MLS listing.
The lower priced one had a recent price reduction and is being sold by a realtor. That's why it has a lower MLs number. ( it was listed a while ago at a higher price.) The price reduction is effective at the same time the higher property was listed. My interest is not so much the asking price, although that is interesting, but what the taxes and assessments are. And you are quite right. They may be more equal at the assessors office, but somehow, I doubt it.

I really doubt that all the vacant lots in HPP are taxed equally and I really doubt that any assessor is taking into account buildability into their assessments. For the record, the lot we just bought was assessed at 24,000.

Okay you guys I will make a stab at this illustious subject!! Correct me if I am wrong, I am just going from memory here and lack of sleep! Smile)
One thing to be sure on is history, it does not change but gives us clues on how the future can be. So you can depend upon it for being right at least the numbers that were crunched in regards to RE. History does not lie, nor does it change, but people do see things differently sometimes.

Historically the real estate sales have gone in cycles, (some say something like approxiametly 12 year) cycles of run ups in the prices and then adjustments or leveling off. Of recent history, the Japanese pushed the market up drastically in the 80's and one of the first times in Hawaiian history, the prices fell back down some after that huge increase. The prices started to build again in the late 90's
and go crazy in 2002 or a bit later and sustained that for awhile, now they seem to have adjusted and lowered with more houses on the market. At least lowered in Puna/ Hilo and Kau areas. The rest of the island I do not keep track of as well.

In John R's defense, he did name the subdivisions that have had extreme growth. I think he knows his business! But he is just a man, no bronze Adonis! But no one has a crystal ball and can tell what will become of the prices now. One thought is that Hawaii has historically always been a good investment. The variable being on the BI that there are still active volcanos and all island can have natural disasters, the most happening on Hawaii and Kauai it seems. So those island can be more variable that the othes. If you look at the past sales history on the county site you will see them going all over, up and down, sometimes folks taking huge losses. Who is to know what will happen? Indisputably Puna land is still a good buy compared to where I live in Tx. and many parts of the USA. One thing is it is a large resource on the BI, and it could go way back down to where it was in 2000 with lots in HPP for 12 grand again, It has before and even lower, then again it may not. It has happened in the past, read about it on the site at HPP or same goes for Discovery Harbour, see it at the county site. These are history/facts.
I don't know about the bill of goods about all the baby boomers flocking there, (John, that started with RF)it has too many drawbacks for lots of folks (Somthing like 50% leave in the first two yrs. after moving there) and medical care and being away from family are the biggest that I see among many others. If you cannot get medical help or see a Dr. what are you going to do? I know of folks who have moved there and cannot get coverage. I think we talked about why Docs aren't wanting to move there, because it is too costly for them. The infrastructure is not keeping up with the growth in Kona and the people are feeling it there for the last few years and complaining about it. What happens when you just cannot sustain the numbers coming in? You do not have the money or the goverment willing to keep up with change. What are you going to do? Fight over the resources, like food and who gets to be on the road? If the sale of the land directly N of HPP goes through for development of single family residences, it will be a zoo around there. Also one never knows about Oil and/or the Lava flows on the island, if those things change in a major way, things could take a drastic turn as they could everywhere with Oil becoming scarce. Lava being different of course, but the RE values would plummet where it affects that area or if the road(s) is cut off to it. There are no guarantees of what tommorrow may bring.

One thing we do know is, we can't always predict what is right for anyone else, let alone ourselves sometimes. There are just too many variables and ambiguities to know ahead of time.
We all have opinions formed over our lifetimes and experiences. Buying homes and property doesn't happen that often for most of us and some aren't even that old to have a long history like some of us on here Smile LOL so given many variables, we all have different perspectives and lets not forget hopes and dreams of owning or living in paradise before it is too late for us. Some perhaps have been working harder or smarter at it than others and are there, some still will come and some alas will not be able to for whatever reason, then there are those who find also that it is not their cup of tea for various reasons and have learned to enjoy other aspects of their lives. Some will move away and give up the dream for whatever reason, too many hurdles, family too far away, too hard to make a living with the costs of living in paradise. A paradise tax.

All of life is wonderful, so sit back and enjoy all that life has to offer you, slow down, smell the flowers everyday, look at the rainbows, listen to the birds sing. It happens wherever you are and it is a great life if only you make it so for yourself. I wish you all the best, whatever you choose to do in life.

Aloha,
Lucy

Edited by - Lucy on 07/27/2006 08:09:10
Lucy

Lucy

Right on.