Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucy's Mexican Restaurant
I"ll defend Lucy's here. We had lunch there Monday. They are closed Tuesdays. I prefer their Mexican food to Reuben's and Luquin's. You can take your small kids there, and they have a small play area for them. The people that work there are nice. Yes, it can be noisy, but so can Reubin's. The tortilla soup is very good at Lucy's. Some of the meals there are huge, and one ends up taking half of it home. That's not a drawback. Right now, since we have started eating there again sometimes, is the plate with three chicken taquito's, black beans and rice, with guacamole and sour cream. The taquito's are crunchy and very tasty. This is a normal sized meal that I can handle and not feel like I'm ready for a nap after. They have a good chicken dish that my wife and I could order, split in in half, and both get a meal.

I won't rave about their food like I would about the Buddha Rama curry dish at my favorite Thai place in Hilo, but Lucy's has good food.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Sounds like some people have never been in a Taquiera before. It's supposed to be half bar and half restaurant. Best Mexican on the whole dang island.
It's a little loud for me too, as some have noted.
But whenever my kids visit, Lucy's is one of their favorite places to eat. They love the lively atmosphere, so I'm always glad to take them there.

I've seen Blind Faith, Zep, Grateful Dead, and MC5 play live - - Lucy's is a walk in the park compared to that.

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
disagree.
Lucy's is above average at best.

For east Hawaii, I guess it is ok.

It's really hard to mess up the tex/mex varieties of mexican food we get in Hawaii. Use some fresh ingredients and you'll be ok. Ruebens is a bit too cheezy for my taste. Good margaritas though. After going to Mexico and eating real tacos, barbacoa, ceviche -- it's hard not to judge Hawaii's offerings as being average to above average.

Again, for east Hawaii, it is OK.
We used to fly to SF to catch the Dead play at the Filmore - West and later on the Oakland Colosseum after Filmore closed its doors.NRPS amongst others every new years .
Back to Lucy's - it is the responsibility of those eating there to bus their own tables.If the prior patrons did not,then their bad .
It is as good as any - has a play area for the kids and very attentive to your style of eating .If you have a better recipe for the hot sauce - by all means let Lucy know and perhaps she will use it as an option to the regular fare or bring your own.
Yesterday we took a visitor to Maui Taco from Boise Idaho and helped bus tables and wash all tables n chairs as they were short staffed .We got a nice discount for helping out.Plus know the ohana from Kula - Maui and name dropped of course .Big Island - Small town.
Mrs.Mimosa

Lucy's does things on they own terms. The food is NOT what many 'expect' it to be. Hence the leaky critiques.

And thats one of the many things I love about them from day one.

Keep the volume up and the food awesome. Its REAL people !

ETA. Mrs. Mimosa. One day we would like to cook for your ohana up there.
Ms Mimosa - "We used to fly to SF to catch the Dead play at the Filmore - West and later on the Oakland Colosseum after Filmore closed its doors.NRPS amongst others every new years".

The Filmore is open again! We went and saw a band a couple years ago and it was a blast.

http://thefillmore.com

As far as Mexican on the BI goes, we only had Lucy's in Hilo. It was ok and everyone was friendly. Very loud. There are so many choices for great Mexican in California it's hard to go elsewhere and compare. We'll likely try Luquins this next trip, privided we can get to the truck, which really depends on the current lava situation. Still want to try one of those famous margaritas! Wait, does the food truck have the margaritas?
Had lunch at Lucy's yesterday....it was great as usual.

Aside from one person on this thread finding Lucy's food borderline inedible and a couple others calling it great, the general consensus seems to be that the food is ok, and pretty much total agreement that it is too loud. I agree with the consensus and because of the volume level I make other choices unless I am overridden by a group. I've only been there twice, second time was a group decision. What I don't understand is why they don't fix something that is so easily fixable.
How WOULD they fix the noise issue? Have wondered this at a number of restaurants. Ceiling tiles? Carpeting? Agree it's especially bad if in a group. I'm now the old lady who just nods as others talk. Can't hear anyone at the table.