Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucy's Mexican Restaurant
quote:
Originally posted by DTisme

How WOULD they fix the noise issue? Have wondered this at a number of restaurants. Ceiling tiles? Carpeting? Agree it's especially bad if in a group. I'm now the old lady who just nods as others talk. Can't hear anyone at the table.

For starters, turn the music down. That in itself would allow the patrons to turn their voices down. This would help tremendously and cost nothing.

Softening the room with acoustic tiles and sound baffles would help also but would require some effort and cost. Carpet would be a big help but not practical in a restaurant.

Start with turning the music down and see what else is needed. It might be enough.
I've politely asked them to lower the volume because we couldn't have a conversation at the table. I only had to do that once about a year ago and they were fine with it.

I agree...way too loud. Hey Dave, while shopping for earplugs, pick up some trash bags and cleaning gloves! LOL! I've always thought about going back to lucy's, because I am a fan of mexican, but, not if they don't make it a comfortable atmosphere for patrons.

I normally give restaurants on the big island a second chance, but not that one. Listen folks, if you like it, that's fine, if you don't, that's fine too. I think that bad reviews are just as valuable as good reviews. Keep the reviews flowing and let us know if they ever turn down the music.
I like Lucy's. They give large portions and the food tastes good. Two thumbs up!

However:
If descoDave wants to post about his experience at a restaurant and the review might be below average or "negative" or whatever, then so what?
Nothing wrong with that.
Disagree with Mimosa and RwR. This is what the freedom of speech and the power of social media is all about.
"Aside from one person on this thread finding Lucy's food borderline inedible"

My wife and I aren't normally sensitive to salt, considering the reviews, I always assumed that we went there on a day where something horrible happened in the kitchen (somebody made a mistake). I wasn't being picky, there was so much salt in the food that my lips shriveled up and felt dry. We didn't finish our food, nor take it home to our dogs.

If it wasn't for the unbearable noise I would have given them a second chance. Maybe I will some day, but we eat out so rarely, I will try all the other places we haven't eaten first.
My family's experience at Lucy's left us not wanting to go back. We spent a long time in line looking at the menu, and still found the terminology used strange and the ordering system somewhat confusing. When we asked staff at the counter to help, they seemed bothered and tried to hurry us along. And yes, I know the taqueria concept doesn't involve a helpful wait person to explain the offerings and patiently take the order. (I've been to several traditional taquerias in Mexico, and they tend to have very simple menus, i.e. little other than tacos.) The noise and untidiness were also issues, and the food was just so-so, not good enough to make me want to put up with the other drawbacks.

What about the new Wiki-Fresh restaurant on K#299;lauea and Kekuanaoa? Anyone been there yet?
I was thinking it might be an alternative to Lucy’s.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
It's not an alternative to Lucy's.
Lucy's cooks Mexican food, cooked by Mexicans.
Wikifresh does their own fusion type stuff. Different, can't substitute.
Interesting all the tolerance for loud noise at restaurants. Loud music inhibits conversation--a common activity while dining. Maybe it's just those of us over 50 griping.....
Eight Fingers: I've been to Wiki Fresh a few times and the food was very good. Fresh vegetables and good meat friendly staff, wide assortment of wraps and bowls, very clean. A little on the expensive side for fast food but you do get a lot for the money.
Certainty will be the death of us.