Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waa Waa paving
I hear Red Road in Waa Waa is getting paved from 4 corners on up? Will they keep the Mango Trees? Stay strong guys, I have some room in Paauilo if folks have farm animals.

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
We're all here, because we're not all there!
According to Eileen O'Hara, the mango trees will remain. The goal is to try to get the entire 3.8 mile stretch paved in one day. There are several trees marked with orange paint on the Honolulu Landing side that need to be removed due to their proximity to the road. Eileen wasn't able to find out if those marked trees (which aren't mango trees) will be removed. Trucks have been driving into the area for the past hour to start the paving.

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example
3.8 mile stretch paved in one day.

Almost 4 miles of a cinder road paved in a single day? On the Big Island? I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, but, but, that sounds almost unbelievable inconceivable!!!

Edited for fans of The Princess Bride
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Almost 4 miles of a cinder road paved in a single day? On the Big Island?

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018...emergency/

It's like free money -- automatic approval now, possible Federal reimbursement later.
OK, I have to ask this. Who is doing the paving? Is it the county itself, or did they issue an emergency no-bid contract to a private company? Not that we really have much choice under these circumstances, but something tells me that with lots of Federal money in play, the usual county contracting shenanigans could be even worse than usual.
Who is doing the paving?

Perhaps some "concerned resident" will report on this -- I can't get past the checkpoints.

Related question: who had 4 miles of asphalt "just laying around"? Is it being "borrowed" from another project?
Paving in those mango areas is going to be tricky. Such tight spots including the mango s curve. No way to get 2 cars driving in opposite directions. Maybe putting in a bunch of paved turn outs. One day? Going to be a lick and a promise.
quote:
Originally posted by keiregan

Paving in those mango areas is going to be tricky. Such tight spots including the mango s curve. No way to get 2 cars driving in opposite directions. Maybe putting in a bunch of paved turn outs. One day? Going to be a lick and a promise.

They have established one way traffic.132 from Pahoa is one way to Kapoho and from Kapoho it is one way through Waa Waa .
quote:
Originally posted by Obie

They have established one way traffic.132 from Pahoa is one way to Kapoho and from Kapoho it is one way through Waa Waa .

Where did you get this information from?

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example

Quote;OK, I have to ask this. Who is doing the paving? Is it the county itself, or did they issue an emergency no-bid contract to a private company? Not that we really have much choice under these circumstances, but something tells me that with lots of Federal money in play, the usual county contracting shenanigans could be even worse than usual.

Sarcasm loading.........Yes, this paving job should definitely be announced two months in advance. Bidders must be vetted to insure they have the proper licenses and insurance. All qualified bidders should have an opportunity to prepare a competitive bid. All proposals shall be studied to insure quality of proposal. Contract will be awarded to top bidder by January 2020.