Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waa Waa paving

Check out the Government Beach widening thread under the 2018 Lava Flow Forum for roadwork updates.

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example
Nothing a little 'hack and squirt' won't solve...
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/0...vacuation/

No chain saws, left it a one lane road. Pretty happy to hear that... Now they are done .... Just in time too, for pele to start her own paving.

That being said, I see a lot of negatives on this. Everytime I went down red road, there was always someone wanting to drive it much faster than I. Probably, they will think, they can drive even faster now. Should be interesting.
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

KJ, Sounds like you are putting yourself on Eco-Terror watch list.
Obie - Does anyone beside me think these trees were protected to prevent further development ?

My read is that there is no desire to actually bring it up to code and therefore be bound to maintain it in the future. Once the emergency is done, they can let the maintenance lap as it is still a substandard road, and everyone can walk away a little richer. IMHO
speculation anyone?

No speculation, but would you settle for an opinion?
I drove Beach Road yesterday from Maku'u Drive in HPP to the mailboxes between Papaya Farms Road and Cinder Road:

* Maku'u to Hawaiian Beaches was graded, still a little rough in places. No problem at 15-20-25 mph, depending on your car or truck.

* The three Hawaiian Shores / Beaches speed bumps - not the three worst bumps on Government Beach Road

* New Pavement - Nice! I thought they did a good job

* Twists and turns through the trees - perfectly manageable. Don't drink and drive.

* The Exceptional Mango Trees - I'm glad they didn't cut them and remove them just so the road could be a few feet wider. I had no problem driving between and under them. Their massive trunks and arching branches offer a unique perspective as you travel through a forest that would be hard to find anywhere else in Hawaii, or the world. We are so much smaller, and younger than the world around us. Enjoy those beautiful, massive trees while you can.

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I for one would have preferred that people were more practical minded and realized that one day this would happen. So instead of asphalt being around the mango trees, people would have realize that through the mango forest, special ground preparations could have been done and a geo-cloth could have been laid down and concrete applied atop that, to protect the tree roots. Proper planning was made impossible because of the opposition to paving.

That's important, because it's opposition to advancement that leads to substandard/poor advancement, such as we now see with petroleum based roadway above the tree root system.

Bottom line, most people in the area don't in fact really care about the mango trees, but rather use them as an excuse to continue poor development practices around them in order to keep others out. It's actually selfishness. The area deserved a far more responsible approach and it wasn't allowed.

I expressed a warning about this very issue several years ago. But... They really don't care as much as they claim, the proofs in the deeds.
quote:
Originally posted by waawaawah

quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

KJ, Sounds like you are putting yourself on Eco-Terror watch list.

I've been on that list for forty years. No worries!

Hayduke Lives!
Magno just stated that Mayor Kim wants a nice coastal road to Hilo (137/Beach) for the Puna community when asked about other routes out of Puna. Clueless acknowledgement of the motivations or throwing someone under the hele-on?

https://www.facebook.com/HawaiiNewsNow/v...195575479/
Good luck explaining to people in lower Puna how the County has no funds to buy out lava covered or inaccessible properties, but found the money to purchase right of way from expensive ocean front property owners so a new coastal road with county compliant wide lanes, shoulder, and hey, as long as we're at it, buying up 10 or 20 feet of frontage from $250,000 properties, why not a make it 5 or 10 feet more and plant a nice green naupaka filled divider down the middle?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves