Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The CoH has to rethink zoning and building codes
The CoH has to rethink zoning and building codes in Lava Zone 1.

Harking back to the lava destruction in 1955 and 1960 it is hard to escape the negligence in approving the Leilani subdivion a few short years later.

Following that mistake the current losses are compounded by ongoing code requirements which increased the costs of construction across the board there.

The Rift Zone needs to be rezoned as Lava Zone 1 and allow for the future construction of tiny homes, the placement of mobile homes and allow property owners, who have property rights after all, to occupy their lands in a manner that makes simple sense.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
It may be easier to pass this only for lava zone 1, but the reality is we all live on an active volcano.

I'm a fan of personal responsibility: allow unpermitted homes, but require a placard at each entrance that advises those entering or purchasing that the home may have structural or safety issues, and they enter at their own risk.
quote "Following that mistake the current losses are compounded by ongoing code requirements which increased the costs of construction across the board there."

Job security or make work in updating and writing new codes.

A friend had a permitted and inspected home in Hawaiian Beaches. The bank now owns that house.

After asking the county, and the bank for help in holding the builder responsible and or getting help repairing their home that was basically falling into a home, they abandon the house basically because it was falling into a green pit where all the albesia and other building and green waste was stashed underneath the home.

So I agree allow what ever people want to build in zone 1 and leave them alone.

So my curiosity is how does this work; If I lost my home in Kapoho do I still owe property taxes after the loss? Without fire insurance and with a mortgage I would owe house payments.

Tiny homes on wheels would be a good idea as would mobile homes which are not allowed in Hawaii, (why I do not know).

mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
The county has been clicking it's calculators figuring out their losses in tax revenue. $7 million they said before Kopoho and Vacationland. Haven't hear one word from them about the estimate of private losses.

Punaweb moderator
figuring out their losses in tax revenue. $7 million they said

I thought it was $5M tax base + $2M/month overtime -- while also claiming the "official" total is only 130 homes (not counting Kapoho).

mobile homes which are not allowed in Hawaii

Still confused by this: I have seen mobile homes (both self-contained and 5th-wheel) here. Also "tiny homes" are being built locally.

allow what ever people want to build in zone 1

I'll say it again: stop issuing building permits in LZ1, designate the whole thing a "campground" and treat it as such. A tiny home on wheels (which can easily be removed) with a big lanai (which can be sacrificed) would be perfect.
Vacationland and Beach Lots were in lava zone 2.
What they were no longer matters.

Punaweb moderator
Personally I'd like to see LZ 1-3 freed of the permitting regime, but 1-2 would probably be more marketable now.

Imagine all the cool intentional communities that could flourish, small businesses opening to satisfy needs, unique experiences for tourists, affordable housing, camping, nature conservancy, etc. As Kalakoa suggests, designate it all a campground. Then instead of zoning, have simple laws on "quiet hours", pollution, neighbor approval, etc.

This could be the rebirth of lower Puna.
I am infatuated with alternative building methods. I would probably live in a treehouse if I had any decent trees on my property. As it is I live in 29' of a 40' high cube shipping container.

I am somewhat ambivalent about both the theory and the application of tiny houses. The commonly stated purpose behind tiny houses is to get around taxes and codes. While we all seem to agree that the county taxes us too much and spends the money collected unwisely, there is no escaping the need for taxes if you want to reap the benefits of living in a society. Similarly codes are not just bull****. They save lives. So I don't see the wisdom of trying to avoid all taxes and codes and the rest of society who does pay taxes and build to code is not going to welcome renegades whose stated goal is to live parasitically off of them. As for the real world application, a tiny house built on wheels to avoid taxes and codes is usually nothing more than an amateur built travel trailer made of the worst possible materials for a travel trailer with numerous life-safety deficiencies making it a hazard while on the road and a death trap when used for sleeping. Nothing that small should have dormers or a porch. Nothing that goes on the highway should have cedar shakes anywhere. Nothing that routinely moves should be built of 2x4s held together with nails. The list goes on.

I have no doubt that the county can clean up their act in a way to make building easier. They can make local adjustments to code for local conditions. They can not however endorse practices that put life safety at risk. They also can't OK improper sewage disposal. I see these as impediments to just letting people do whatever they want at least as far as putting it in writing is concerned. Just saying "Tiny House" almost defines a pie in the sky layman's fantasy of a house that not only fails to address these critical issues but almost makes it impossible to meet the necessary minimum standards. The tiny part is good but you still have to deal with all the other stuff.
Seems ideal here and now in our situation. These should be approved for use on lava zone 1 lots:

https://www.ebay.com/i/322853792464?chn=ps