Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helicopters, helicopters, helicopters
Over 88 Total flights over Kaloli Point yesterday (17 June Father's Day) counting the multiple helicopters in the sky at once. 1st log was at 6:27 AM and last flight was at 5:57 PM. Most were flying at an altitude of less than 1500' minimum. The altitude DOES make a difference, especially when the altitude is less than 1000', and we had some of those over the past 6 weeks.

Every one I know who evacuated could not afford to take a helicopter tour, much less twice. A couple friends signed up for the "Free IF anyone cancelled" tour and never got a call in 6 weeks time. 3000' was for the fly overs in the eruption zone. My friends wondered how they could possibly see their house at that altitude. When they evacuated they didn't think to grab their binoculars...
I had been calling the DOT Airports Division for complaints. I was given information this morning to call:

FAA Flight Standards District Office @ 837-8300.

Give date, time and if possible, a description of the helicopter.

23 flights in 3 1/2 hrs so far over KP today.
Lot of those are even louder than our gas powered lawnmower!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
even louder than our gas powered lawnmower

Almost as if they're running anything that will fly, including some older models, maybe even burning some leaded gas if they brought that R44 over from Kona.

Good times.
Lot of those are even louder than our gas powered lawnmower!

Funny that you'd mention that. When mowing yesterday, we noticed the helicopters were louder than our lawnmower.

Today, a neighbor gave me interesting information on this topic... that the helicopter tours are 15 min tours which gives them more tours/flights per hour...hence the 3-5 min time lapse between their flights. She also mentioned that from the airport they are in acceleration mode over Kaloli Pt, climbing to get to their 3000' altitude....that during an acceleration mode, the noise is louder.

She thought people should also call the DOT Airports Division number, 838-8000.
I bet neighborhoods like fern forest, eden rok, are pretty happy they no longer have to listen to the helicopters...

Eric!! You are so correct!

All this low-flying that you guys are experiencing... I and others out here have been enduring for a DECADE or more. Apparently the air-highway to Puu'oo was right above Hawaiian Acres.

It has been so nice and quiet here for a change since May.
I feel for you guys down there. Empathy sent.
Kaloli Point's had helicopter traffic issues since we moved here over a decade ago and I'm sure it was going on before that. The increase would coincide with the cruise ship schedules. The increase in air traffic to this degree started shortly after May 3 and has steadily risen. The DOT Air Traffic Div. said they've been getting flooded with complaints.
DOT Air Traffic Div. said they've been getting flooded with complaints

They can't hear resident complaints over the helicopter noise (which sounds like money).
For the last decade - we in H.A. have put up with the noisy helicopters on their way back and forth to Pu'u O'o .
The 1st flights of the day was Blue Hawaii at 7 minutes to 8am on their flight from Kona to Hilo. After the cruise ships arrived it was non stop till 4:15 in the afternoon.
Ka Ching .
Now we seldom hear the helicopter noise but those of you that do - along the coast to the new Pu'u Leilani will eventually get used to it as back round noise.
One suggestion instead of a per lot over flight fee of $5.00 would be a $35.00 fee to help pay for fail rail on Oahu along with a fee of $10.00 per tourist to help the county not raise the G.E.T.
Ka Ching Ka Ching .
Mrs.Mimosa