Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GET surcharge fails, here come the cuts
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2018/06/2...m-in-cuts/

News flash: some legislators still tone-deaf:

"We're giving you folks an opportunity to help your constituents by doing this," said San Buenaventura.

Of course all cuts will be for services people want/need, not salaries:

That means the cuts must come from expenditures not mandated by the law, such as $270,000 from council members' contingency funds, $500,000 from grants to nonprofits, $254,917 by unfunding vacant positions and $240,000 by suspending summer fun programs.

Suspending recycling programs such as for cardboard, glass, plastic and paper, will save $1.4 million, operating pools just three days a week would save $218,000 and closing gyms and other county facilities two days a week will save $336,000, according to a Finance Department list.

Good thing Kenoi went on that bond-financed park-building binge!
Furlough Fridays sound good to me.
Cut services? Then why have county employees be paid to
operate and staff reduced or non-existent services?
Cut services, at least cut hours for County employees
if they can't be fired.
No Hawaii State or Hawai'i County employee has died from
overwork. And don't tell me I'm being insensitive to Harry Kim.
This BS has to stop with the "our" public employees.
Cut services- then why have county employees be paid to operate and staff reduced or non-existent services?

Their unions decided how your money would be spent, despite not being elected.

Wondering how furlough fridays worked last time.

Still wondering why County can't manage to expedite permits for activities which generate revenue. Luquin's Cantina, B&B rentals, Hilo Farmer's Market.

(A "traditional" thatched roof is allowable with fire suppression and "approval of the fire marshal", I don't see why tarps are any different, and sprinklers would be cheaper than a building -- all of which is only relevant if "safety" is the actual problem.)
kalakoa @ 10:37:00 06/20/2018-
In "our" one party State and County, it's out of control.
No checks on the system.
Don't forget "Release prisoners early."

Don’t mess with summer fun for the kids that’s bullsht. And Parents pay part of that.
How about cutback on the waste and corruption at public works that’s like half the budget
If we're having some sort of "funding crisis" during the allegedly hottest economy in decades, how is the county going to fare when the next recession hits?

Are they just going to cancel all county services (but continue to pay county employees) ?
The 'hot economy' does not necessarily translate into large gains coming in from property taxes. Part of the funding dilemma ( by no means all ) is the large number of retirees moving here. Property taxes are capped at $200 per year for a primary residence of someone who is 65+, no matter the assessed value of the home. At the same time, the services for seniors are expanding because of demand. The list of classes offered though Parks & Rec for the 'elderly' is a lengthy one, with most classes full with a waiting list, and both the hot lunch and meals on wheels programs are growing rapidly. The imbalance between revenues and outlays will continue for the foreseeable future.
"The 'hot economy' does not necessarily translate into large gains coming in from property taxes."

I agree. But a good economy does allow existing payers to keep paying their taxes. Once the economy goes bad, people stop paying their taxes either because they have to default, or they move in with their (parents, kids, whoever) on the mainland or wherever else is perceived to be cheaper.
quote:
Originally posted by Punaperson

The 'hot economy' does not necessarily translate into large gains coming in from property taxes. Part of the funding dilemma ( by no means all ) is the large number of retirees moving here. Property taxes are capped at $200 per year for a primary residence of someone who is 65+, no matter the assessed value of the home. At the same time, the services for seniors are expanding because of demand. The list of classes offered though Parks & Rec for the 'elderly' is a lengthy one, with most classes full with a waiting list, and both the hot lunch and meals on wheels programs are growing rapidly. The imbalance between revenues and outlays will continue for the foreseeable future.

I don't think, the bold by me, is correct.
Please point me to the statute. Thanks