Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GET surcharge fails, here come the cuts
Punaperson @ 16:23:08 06/20/2018-
No. You are wrong.
Or do you just hate retirees? It seems you do from what you say.
My brother is 67, and pays $1800 a year. So $200 cap is not true.
I think little money goes to programs for anyone.

The County's biggest expenses are salaries and pensions for County employees.
I'm with Frank on this.
County's biggest expenses are salaries and pensions for County employees.

Which continue to be paid even when the services (pool, etc) are shut down. (I could be wrong, but I'm sure the unions covered this one.)

Property taxes are capped at $200 per year

Homeowner gets an exemption of $40K ($80K after age 60; $100K after age 70) after which an additional 20% of the assessed value is exempted before the tax is calculated. There are other exemptions. It is possible to reach the "minimum tax" of $200.

http://www.hawaiipropertytax.com/exemptions.html
If the county wants tax money to fill the coffers, than we need big businesses to come in... like costco and lowes, etc,etc... to pay up when they do business here. That's half the problem. Everyone voted them out, and now we have no cash flows, no jobs, and tons of PEOPLE on county / state jobs to pay. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
I apologize for the inaccuracy. My own property taxes went down to $200 ( after being quite a bit more for decades ) without me doing anything once I hit retirement age. When I spoke to numerous neighbors and friends about this, some with huge, magnificent homes, they all had the same experience, and I made a wrong assumption. Again, apologies.

The county, politicians and public employee unions don't want growth that would
break up the existing system. But this cannot go on forever. Much as some wish
and expect.
$200.00 is a minimum not a maximum. Harry raised the minimum from $25. to $100 the first time he got into office, and up to $200 the second time.
"Finance Director Deanna Sako said she’d soon be submitting an amended budget to cover the shortfall. Much of the budget is................

out of county control,.............. (Freudian slip but true)

such as salaries and wages, which account for more than 60 percent of operating revenues;
retirement programs dictated by the state ; (and soon to balloon )
and payments of outstanding debts ".........

They can raise taxes or cut our services......these people who just gave themselves a raise.
Understand why Summer fun will be axed, the pool will close , etc. ?

we need big businesses to come in...

Small businesses, too. Also, expedite building permits/inspections, finaled houses assess higher and pay more taxes.

Lowe's was supposed to go on the empty acreage up by the airport, across from HPM. Not sure what happened there.

Lots of medium-urban acreage around Keaau, too, if Shipman can be bothered to do anything with it.
hot economy?
wages not hot, except at the top
prices on goods are hot and going up
how long will the tourists stay on kona side with the vog?
police, fire, infrastructure, medical. the rest is gravy. just like families that need to stick to a budget, the county needs to do the same. of course, they will cut the programs the people like the best, not salaries. but the public votes these folks in over and over on a county, state, federal level...