Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the middle of buying lot in Black Sand Sub
is it safe (relatively) to potentially purchase land in the black sand subdivision

Wrong question. Land is always a good investment, even when it's over a much longer timeline than intended.

Are people even allowed to go down that way, or into the subdivision?

Better question: will access and/or development rights suddenly be lost at County's whim?

There are other subdivisions with "lax building codes". Personally, I can't imagine living on a tiny lot ever again.
Thanks for the input man.
Yes, 130 is back open for now. However, I have spoken to several people have left Black Sands due to poor air quality, others have said it is fine. Apparently the area has become popular with squatters moving into the properties that were abandoned.

This eruption isn't over so be sure that your purchase can be a very speculative investment - the chances of the area either being isolated or visited by lava, or the area being heavily impacted by SO2, remains very possible for the immediate future.
the price is right

You'll get what you pay for. It might work out all right, it might not. Do you like living life on the edge?

I think it was back in the summer of 2014 when we had the Pahoa lava flow headed for town, (Hurricane) (almost?) Iselle, and two tsunami warnings with mandatory evacuations required. By the autumn of 2014 I gave serious thought to a lava zone 8 property on the Hamakua Coast, up Mauna Kea 1500 feet in elevation, with maybe a room that would withstand 140 mph winds. The notion passed, and I'm glad I stayed where I am, but if there had been an 6.9 earthquake thrown into the mix for good measure, who knows?

How much natural geologic, oceanographic, and atmospheric excitement can you handle at any given time?

A bird flies home across the sky. It appears to be tired, it had a difficult day. It returns from the hunt, it was hunted. - Laszlo Krasznahorkai
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Thats an iffy place,lock ur door,put out the dogs carry a gun 2hen u walk

Dan D
HPP

HPP
Thanks for info ironyak and HereOnThePrimalEdge. I'm just getting tired of grinding at my desk job with 2 hours of commuting and 8 hours of work 5 days a week. Maybe I'll wait until the eruption is over unless they come down on the price and make it a really a sweet deal. I planned on living in a connex still on a trailer. If all goes bad, i can hookup and tow the house out of there.
You might be happier if you broaden your considerations.
Thanks, for advice Dan D. will do.
How so Glinda? I've visited the big island for two weeks, and black sands looks like the kind of place I'm interested in. I like its proximity to the forest reserve and the ocean. I also like uncle bobs. I'm not a lelani estates kind of guy, and nanawale has to many building restrictions. Plus, i think that subdivision gets less rain fall than the rest of puna due to its southern most location, but I could be wrong. I was considering HOV, but its just not resonating well with me for some reason. I am definitely open to your advice. Thanks Glinda.
that subdivision gets less rain

Now that Kapoho is gone, the lowest rainfall in Puna is in the Kalapana-Kaimu area (including Black Sands), HPP from 10th Street to the ocean, and probably (someone else should confirm) Hawaiian Beaches-Shores near the ocean. Maybe Waa Waa too?

A bird flies home across the sky. It appears to be tired, it had a difficult day. It returns from the hunt, it was hunted. - Laszlo Krasznahorkai
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves