Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the middle of buying lot in Black Sand Sub
“....rent for a year minimum....”

Might be a bit difficult finding a place what with all the flow refugees.......
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I don't understand what your fascination with that subdivision is. There are many great places to live in LZ3 that in the long run will be a much better value.

Having moved here from Alaska myself, I can say that the mosquitoes are different. It's not a matter of worse vs better. Different. In Hawaii they are year round, 24/7, with both night biters and day biters. The ones in Alaska only last a few months but the species leave bigger welts that last longer. Hawaii mosquitoes can carry diseases that theoretically can kill you. Honestly in Alaska the no-see-ums were a lot worse to me than the mosquitoes and WE DON'T HAVE THEM HERE IN HAWAII. For those of you who have never had the displeasure of dealing with no-see-ums, imagine something with the size and sting of LFA but they FLY and SWARM. They are fecking awful and I prefer dealing with the LFA.
I was just there, driving thru Black Sands subdivision. It's looking worse than ever, worse than a slum as you are driving in and up. One after another dilapidated shack with yards full of junk. What a shame.
@aklb43: "I'm not a lelani estates kind of guy, and nanawale has to many building restrictions."

I had to laugh when I read that just now.

Why not? What's wrong with Leilani Estates?
Why not? What's wrong with Leilani Estates?
---------
People happy to live in unpermitted shacks and cabins don't like Leilani or Nanawale. Both HOAs will fight you on that.
Terracore - price for raw land is cheap, unrestricted building, close to the ocean, would make an affordable camping spot when its the dead of deep dark cold winter where I live that I could visit a few times every winter for rest and restore.

Punatic077 - I drove every road in the subdivision in february, some roads were exactly as you describe, some were not. I don't intend to live there for extended periods of time.

ElysianWort - I want to build my place the way I want it. You can't build a comfortable camping spot in Leilani Estates. I'm not looking to jump back into the rat race so I can afford an over priced fancy home that I work all week for just so i can afford it. I've done that since 2005, it has never been a fulfilling lifestyle for me and seems pointless from my personal perspective, although I can recognize the security that lifestyle can provide.

Leilanidude - pretty much.

Thanks again, the feed back has been great! I woke up this morning with hesitation on making a purchase in black sands, as the lava issues is really the only thing that is holding me back.
Test post....This thread isnt showing up on the list for me. Oh, i see, its been moved to puna talk. All good.
Ah yes aklb43 I got that part.

Just when you said that you "aren't a Leilani Estates kind of guy", the glaringly obvious part about multiple explosive and active volcanic vents all abound up and down streets currently in that subdivision didn't seem like it was the main factor for looking elsewhere for land.

That's where I found the humor there.
unrestricted building

Technically, all building is restricted, it's enforcement that varies.

If you're only going to "camp a few times every winter" then you'll need to bring everything with you and/or store it when you're off-island ...
Elysianwort - I see, good deal.

Kalakoa - Good point. I have an old girl friend that bought a house with her husband in volcano 2 months ago, maybe she will store my tent and motor scooters if I let them use them any time they want.

Thanks for the advice, this is great.