Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stream of Navy airplanes land at Hilo airport yest
Complexity and weight is one reason.The other is that little bit of skidding on touchdown doesn't cause as much wear as the flexing of the tire just after touchdown and heavy braking on rollout.

My Dad was a mechanic in WW2 and he told me they tried all kinds of stuff including having vanes on the wheels to get them to spin.None of it worked.
That makes sense, thanks.
Almost everything you might want to know about an aircraft tire. I'm sure I'll think about some of this the next time I take off and land:

“Aviation tires are subjected to forces and dynamics that tires in other segments do not encounter, at least not simultaneously,” says Bert Aertssen, general manager, global aviation for Goodyear.

“For example, some tires used on airliners are required to support weights that are comparable to large earthmoving (OTR) machines, while operating at speeds comparable to a NASCAR race tire.”

Charles Szpara, field service engineer at Bridgestone Aircraft Tire (USA) Inc., says aircraft tires must be designed to sustain high speeds of up to 235 mph, “which is similar to the speed that racing tires experience.” Also, all the tires together on an aircraft must be able to support a load up to 569 metric tons, which is similar to OTR tires.

The price for a size 1400x530R23 Michelin tire for the New Airbus 380 Double Decker is $5,500.

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/article...p-and-away

Up until 1972, General Motors blended whale oil in transmission fluid for its cars. -Spying on Whales
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
There are some "weird physics" created by the spinning wheel which prevent corrections during final approach/landing, same principles as a gyroscope.
Do you know how Marine pilots can tell when they've made a "gear up" landing?............

By the excessive manifold pressure it takes to taxi off the runway......