Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reasons to move to Hawaii
Aloha Keith & Akoni & assorted Punatics,

A lot of the greenhouses I see have orchids in them. Betcha those are more profitable than vegetables. High end plants can be sold on eBay so it wouldn't have to be a large greenhouse to be profitable just have a few expensive plants in it.

One of the basic problems with farming that I've heard from folks is there isn't any labor available. At least at a price that makes growing vegetables worthwhile.

If I were to take up farming I would consider crops that could be worked and harvested by one person or by machinery. Tea is a good crop for machinery production, but there aren't any processors around that I know of. Coffee is labor intensive, picking mac nuts can be done somewhat by machine, I think. If there was a commercial use for surinam cherries, those could be harvested by machine - but you would probably have to invent the machine. Otherwise I would do a very small "farm" of about a half acre which woujld be a one-person sort of farm. Some sort of expensive crop such as tomatoes or the peppers. Or perhaps a tissue culture lab or an indoor sort of farm such as mushrooms or hydroponic tomatoes.

Fortunately, I already have a business - Hawaii Drafting Service - so for me this is all just chitter-chat. Maybe I could take up farming as a hobby? Or just extensive gardening, that would probably be better!

A hui hou,
Cathy

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
QUESTION POSED: "In particular, why should medical personnel, skilled tradesmen, and entrepreneurs move there."

Because in their mind they know and in their heart they feel BI is home - then all else becomes secondary/ JMHO of course.

David

Ninole Resident

Edited by - David M on 08/24/2006 20:38:03

Edited by - David M on 08/24/2006 20:38:53
Ninole Resident
I hole heartily agree with the following David M post,
QUESTION POSED: "In particular, why should medical personnel, skilled tradesmen, and entrepreneurs move there."

Because in their mind they know and in their heart they feel BI is home - then all else becomes secondary/ JMHO of course.

I agree completely, totally, but perhaps this perception is because of our lifetime experiences and they are much younger and see a different future. I don't know.

However in the old Doctor patient days, there was an altruistic sense by some old docs to treat all, even those who couldn't pay, we had just such a doctor when I was growing up. He lived to serve, loved his job, his patients and made a little money at it and golfed whenever he could. Good old Doc Martin loved life to the fullest, shared a grand sense of humor about the human condition and enjoyed it all!

These days with education costs what they are, young md's are specializing, money driven and I think Cathy is correct, the spouses of md's are looking for the high society fairy tale of bygone days, for their future. You know girls marry a DR Lawyer or Indian Chief! Bad to generalise I know, but reality is they need big bucks to pay off big loans, and establish the high life.

Of course this is just how I see things, but hope for better for the future of the medical profession.

Cathy thank you for spelling out for us all the areas to be considered from professional to laborer, very well written and thought provoking. Thanks. Aloha Mella L

mella l

Edited by - mella l on 08/25/2006 06:16:46
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Hmmmmmmm, so perhaps we don't really need those young ones? Nothing wrong with medical, tradespeople, or entrepreneurs on the senior side of maturity (or paid side of student loans) in my book, In fact, Sophie's prior ortho surgeon cautioned that in looking for her new Dr here in Hawaii, she should look for one with a bit of mileage.

I agree with Mella's observations. I would also hope that perhaps some of the more senior wives, may have overcome their status chase.

Our primary care Dr is very involved in the community, big time with the Honakaa theater I hear. What's really great, that a visit to his office never seems rushed, you leave feeling like you've really seen the Dr.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
If it were just the turqoise waters, tropical breezes and fragrant blossoms, many places would serve. It's the gentleness of the islands, of the climate and mostly, the Aloha. HaoleBoy, this site reminded me of you - it's got your Aloha smiley
http://www.alohainternational.org/

Cindy B

Mahalo for the link, Cindy B. I must not be the only slap-happy guy with surplus aloha. It's a good problem to have.
Aloha
Richwhiteboy

"A word to the wise ain't necessary- it's the stupid people that need advise."- Bill Cosby
“Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good.”
- Henry Rollins

Did I mention NO SNAKES!!? Lots of bugs some nasty ones but NO SNAKES!

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Yes David, some of the mature dr wives have a different set of lifestyles and supporting the arts is one of these!

I do think some young dr stock would be good for the future of the islands, and for the old set. When I pick my doctor and hope to stick with him until there is no more need so I'll be looking for say a 35 year old! Some experience under the old belt and some good mileage to see me through! LOL

Yeah no snakes in the grass!!! thanks Royall, we have rattlers here and there and they are not good to be around.

Aloha,
Mella

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Yep, like my friend who moved from S Ore to
HPP several years ago says to me, there's nothing in your backyard that'll eat your children or your pets.

Cindy
well I think some of the girls voted and decided a reason tomove to Hawaii was NO panty hose. LOL Unless you feel you absolutely, positively must! Nuf said.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA