Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reasons to leave Hawaii
I think acceptance of newcomers is difficult anywhere - my SO bought a farm in Kansas years ago - after he had been there EIGHT, yes, EIGHT years - a old farmer told him - oh yah your'e that young fella from the "city" (city being Wichita, KS) who just bought old Mc Donald's farm... (EIGHT years later and my SO was 40 at the time). Go figure!

Ka'amaina seems to be when you can remember back to when something was or wasnt there / where there is or isnt something now....
Such as us old timers still giving directions to Bldg Dept as "where the old JCPenny's was".... or "Keaau-Pahoa Rd" instead of "Hwy 130"...

The biggest way I know a newcomer ....is they are using North/South East/West - if someone asks me is it east of Home Depot ...I say huh? it is Hilo side ... or Keaau side.... same thing Hilo or Puna side / Kona side ...... East Hawaii / West Hawaii is IMHO best left to the polititions...

-Cat
For years I had thought this was strictly a local Philadelphia custom - many sets of directions to get to various parts of Northeast Philadelphia begin with "Turn left where Sears used to be". Apparently we are not alone after all.

Howard

Kapohocat wrote:
quote:
Ka'amaina seems to be when you can remember back to when something was or wasnt there / where there is or isnt something now....
Such as us old timers still giving directions to Bldg Dept as "where the old JCPenny's was".... or "Keaau-Pahoa Rd" instead of "Hwy 130"...

"...pick up the steaks if you want to have a bbq one evening Smile"

Count me in, and I'll bring along some Hawaii Island Grass Fed steaks!
I've got a nice gas grill on the front lanai, looking right out at the Pacific Ocean. We'll talk story about paradise.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
Oh Yes,
Count me in! I love a good bbq. Let's set a date after you get back from your trip.
Lee

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the 1 thing i hate about Hawaii, is how UN Pet Friendly this Island is, and how people think it is perfectly acceptable and normal to keep a dog tied up outside all day every day and just throw food at it. Its very heartbreaking. Other than that, its beautiful here!

Kevin Costello & Meghan Wobles
www.1stopmailshop.com
www.alakairidgebacks.com
Kevin Costello & Meghan Wobles
I've been waiting for this subject to come up. Where are the well adjusted, free range dogs that hang out around thier neighborhood? It's no wonder the tied-up dogs act psycho being chained up all the time.

Where's the aloha for the doggies?
Aloha
Richwhiteboy

"As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it."- Dick Cavett

Edited by - haoleboy on 08/28/2006 17:30:26
“Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good.”
- Henry Rollins

There's a leash law here and so you won't (or shouldn't anyway) see dogs roaming around. I know of a few subdivisions where loose dogs are a nuisance to walkers/joggers/bikers.

Remember it's a different culture here. Dogs aren't (for the most part) seen as part of the family like they are on the mainland. Here they are security and some are used for hunting. I have 2 dogs outside in a fenced yard and they couldn't be happier. I'd hate to think about my dogs being inside, with no A/C, in this heat we've been enduring lately.

Just my 2 cents.

Aloha,
Jody

I understand the different culture part, and I'm on board with that. But keeping a "security" dog tied or penned up 24/7 makes no sense to me. What's the point? They go into barking fits anytime of the day or night for no apparent reason. Wouldn't a porch dog be better suited for security?
Aloha, to doggies too!
Richwhiteboy

"My ding-a-ling, my ding-a-ling, I want you to play with my ding-a-ling."- Chuck Berry
“Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good.”
- Henry Rollins

Doesn't make sense to me either.

I always had my dogs inside when I lived on the mainland. I would have never dreamt of putting them outside, I thought it would be inhumane. When I moved here, though, I realized they really enjoy being out. They get to chase geckos and lounge in the sun all day. My dogs are confined, not tied, and I don't agree at all with tying up dogs on chains so short that they can barely move. A few years back a toddler was mauled to death in Hawaiian Acres (or was it Fern Forest?) by a vicious dog that broke loose from its chain and attacked the child and his mother- a tragedy. Dogs that are tied become increasingly territorial and vicious and they should always be avoided.

Things that my dogs bark at day/night: rats, cats and mongoose, oh my!

Aloha,
Jody

I recently was told by a friend in Ainaloa that while walking his little girl to the bus they have been confronted by a wild dog who just wanders around and makes a stand while people just walking...they told the local authorities who really could care less...said they've tried to catch her and she even outlasted a tranquilizer dart...so they just do nothing...also is dropping a litter every 6 mos...what can a person do in that situation?

Carrie

"The opportunities to reach into the lives of others in an inspiring way arise in countless ways every single day..." Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2