Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Free Press In Hawaii
350 newspapers across America published editorials today calling for a continued free press, and pushing back against assertions by the Trump Administration that they are nothing but fake news. A free press is guaranteed in the 1st Amendment. It’s our right. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, or ask you not to believe your own eyes. From the Honolulu Star Bulletin:

Of course, there is no denying that the media, covering fast- breaking news events on a 24-hour cycle, will make mistakes. Errors of fact and misguided news judgment are hazards of the profession. So is the appearance of bias. Readers rightly call all this out. But fake news? Come on.

Hawaii’s news media, including this newspaper, have an enduring mission to cover our communities without fear or favor.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/08/16...ree-press/

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The Star is and has been, blatantly biased for years.
Biased? In what way?

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Once a newspaper endorse a candidate for office they ae biased? They are trying to sway your vote to their way/

jrw
jrw
blatantly biased

Most legitimate newspapers print their bias and endorsements on the editorial page. But, sure, throw the baby out with the bath water, toss the 1st Amendment into the scrap heap of history - - there are people who’ve made it clear that’s exactly what they’d like to do. And they’re off to a good start. Or a bad start, depending on your bias.

Then, although there might have been one or two main reasons you didn’t like the Star Bulletin, after they’re gone you probably won’t miss the other information they formerly published, like local news or sports. In fact, that’s an excellent example, I’m glad I brought it up. What I want to know is, why does the Star Bulletin always show bias and favoritism toward the UH Warriors anyway? What gives? That’s not my favorite college team (sorry), and the UH football team doesn’t have a chance to reach the BCS College Football Championship Playoffs, so what’s the point? It may even be an indication the Star Bulletin is wrong about everything else, right? Because, winning. It’s the only thing.

Stand up for a free press, even when they show some insignificant preference or favoritism. They are nowhere close to what some call them, “the enemy of the people.”

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

blatantly biased

Most legitimate newspapers print their bias and endorsements on the editorial page. But, sure, throw the baby out with the bath water, toss the 1st Amendment into the scrap heap of history - - there are people who’ve made it clear that’s exactly what they’d like to do. And they’re off to a good start. Or a bad start, depending on your bias.

Then, although there might have been one or two main reasons you didn’t like the Star Bulletin, after they’re gone you probably won’t miss the other information they formerly published, like local news or sports. In fact, that’s an excellent example, I’m glad I brought it up. What I want to know is, why does the Star Bulletin always show bias and favoritism toward the UH Warriors anyway? What gives? That’s not my favorite college team (sorry), and the UH football team doesn’t have a chance to reach the BCS College Football Championship Playoffs, so what’s the point? It may even be an indication the Star Bulletin is wrong about everything else, right? Because, winning. It’s the only thing.

Stand up for a free press, even when they show some insignificant preference or favoritism. They are nowhere close to what some call them, “the enemy of the people.”

Your post above qualifies as FAKE News, in a way.

POTUS described FAKE NEWS, not a Free Press as “the enemy of the people.”

This phrase would more (much) accurately read:

"Even though they are overwelmingly and constantly biased in every way, manner and matter of import"
Open-d: Can you at least TRY to make it Hawaii related? Here's a couple thoughts-

Kalakoa's rant: The press can say whatever they want - my roads are so bad I can't even get a paper.
Puna retirees: A Free Press? HTH costs me $1.75 on Sunday alone!
Sovereignty angle: What'd can you expect from a FAKE state, but FAKE NEWS?

Now you try...
As long as they present their political articles on the editorial page, I see no problem. Potus describes as "fake news" anything which criticizes him and his actions. He is not a king or dictator, though that seems to be his aspiration.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Even though they are overwelmingly and constantly biased in every way, manner and matter of import"

Easy to say, but how about an example?
Pick any daily Hawaii newspaper, choose an article reporting on a local event (because it will be written by their own reporters and not the AP), then point out to us the overwhelming and constant bias. And how the story should be written objectively.

Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

Open-d: Can you at least TRY to make it Hawaii related? Here's a couple thoughts-

Kalakoa's rant: The press can say whatever they want - my roads are so bad I can't even get a paper.
Puna retirees: A Free Press? HTH costs me $1.75 on Sunday alone!
Sovereignty angle: What'd can you expect from a FAKE state, but FAKE NEWS?

Now you try...

MY post was in direct response to his post. Ergo it is as relevant or irrelevant as his post was.