Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Hurricane Season
This storm is not even predicted to pass by our latitude to the west until tomorrow night...

Yes.
For example, Aloha Cargo is flying today and tonight.
They have tentatively canceled all flights out of Hilo Thursday night.

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I am often amazed that most folks do not realize what those cone of probablties actually mean...

That cone of probabilities is a 95% PROBABILITY that the storm will track in that area, based on a very limited 60 year study of cyclonic storms ( most during a climatic cooler-than-average condition... we must also factor int hat we are currently warmer than any of the case studies...) ... Even if all of the conditions were the same, there is still a 5% chance that a storm will not follow the expected track scenarios & decides to be a rebel storm & do its own thing (put in Puna-relatable terms)
our less than 14K high mountains are more like speed bumps than storm stoppers...

I think that is a bit naive.. it doesn't matter if it is upper winds that shear a storm or a mountain below. If there is an obstacle.. some reason a system can not move air around itself efficiently.. then the system is challenged and will be effected. Our Maunas are not insignificant speed bumps. They are walls and a storm that swirls round and round needs room to do so. If that room is truncated, on top, on bottom, wherever, then the air can't move through there and the symmetry is broken. It's not a speed bump, its a wall. A solid as they come wall. As such a storm swirling over on the Kona side isn't going to be free to swirl as much up the Hamakua side.

I mean, that is what my addled brain (so suggested geochem in his latest rant!) thinks.. but then I am sure Carey knows better, right?
I am sure Carey knows better, right?

Feels good to hit the nail on the head, doesn't it?

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
glinda... not naive... there are many studies of cyclonic storms in Central America, Pacific Islands & Carib that back up that mountains do not stop a cyclonic storm, esp the more powerful ones... more like a speed bump, can take some of the force out... but if you are dealing with a storm with Lanes` power... that still equals a potentially damaging storm... & the mountains do not provide a safety net to plan on no effects of the storm, as some would like to believe... they can diminish a storm, yes, but not stop a storm
& those mountain passes, like Waimea, can create a very dangerous area of storm funneling..

ETA: & the frictional forces of the land added to the water vapor taken out by the elevational change does drain storms of their power, but Lane is riding in 29degC waters, that are right nice for fueling a cyclonic storm & if it does ride the edges of our island, the water vapor decrease & friction will not be enough stop the storm... just weaken it....& there is the potential of stalling & all the other tricks of the trade that happen with wall reformations..
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

Those lucky state employees are sleeping in and enjoying the cool weather...

I think I already know the answer, but do they get paid for all these false alarm days off?
mountains... but if you are dealing with a storm with Lanes` power...

Take a look at the size of Hurricane Lane in this satellite photo. Big Island is outlined on the left, so imagine how much of the island consists of the upper reaches of Mauna Loa & Mauna Kea. A small percentage. Compare that to the enormity of Lane, spinning at 160 mph.

It would be like putting up two lawn ornaments in your yard expecting them to stop gusty trade winds from reaching your house.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlJYVe0VAAAzCB5?format=jpg&name=medium

Chunkster - I think I already know the answer, but do they get paid for all these false alarm days off?

Yep, administrative leave for salaried workers = 5 day weekend.

https://governor.hawaii.gov/wp-content/u...-Leave.pdf
Looking at my windy app I see the first thunderstorm off shore to the east of Hawaii island.
Looks like they closed schools down for thurs. and fri. also (Schools closed due to rain) Yet I get a nasty letter if my kid misses a half a day because of a doctors appointment.

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/28068/web