Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Hurricane Season
Here is a map of hurricanes passing near Hawaii since 1950:
https://i0.wp.com/moveto-hawaii.com/wp-c...istory.png

If the theory is that tall mountains are a wall which effectively block hurricanes, or deflects them, then according to the map (above) Lanai & Kahoolawe must have the highest mountains and best wall, as they are the only islands never to have a major storm pass over them. Correct?

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by alaskyn66

Looks like they closed schools down for thurs. and fri. also (Schools closed due to rain) Yet I get a nasty letter if my kid misses a half a day because of a doctors appointment.

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/28068/web

If the doctor's appointment gets the administrators half a day off, you won't get a nasty letter.
Not a problem for me, this has gone on since before I joined in the wayback years....

I do love how when addressing my statement only the Carib was picked out.... & how someone must feel that the mountains of Guatemala, Borneo, New Guinea, Taiwan, Sumatra, Japan STOP & rip apart ALL cyclonic storms that go near... & "protect" all the inhabitants from the storm wrath!
A well, there are some people believe in most anything that buzzes around their head without checking their facts!
Thursday, August 22
All Big Island Post Offices will be closed.
There will be no mail delivery, or pick up from blue mail boxes.

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Lane down to 145 mph...wind shear starting to break it down. Lane is now moving further to the west than expected which is good news for the Big Island and Maui. Oahu now under Hurricane warning.
KITV 4 meteorologist Pete Caggiano just showed a graphic of the islands and the areas in danger from wind which was basically all of the state... EXCEPT THE PUNA HILO AREA! I was stoked to see that.

Hey Carey not sure about all those other mountains in Guatemala, Japan wherever but I was only referring to our two mountains there ol' Mauna Loa and Kea.

They have typically kept the storms away and ripped them up in the past. Iselle was an exception.
"
"

Just had a couple of serious squalls travel over us here on Kaloli, a harbinger of things to come! Wishing everyone an uneventful and peaceful Wed. night!
I believe that such tall mountains can have some effect on the felt impact of storms but to an unknown degree. The map above showed only 18 hurricanes since 1950, not statistically relevant. Human nature is such that people will conclude that the Big Island is protected on some fundamental level. This is unknowable based on only a dozen or two storms since we've been keeping track in the last half century. What I object to is when people claim to know an essentially unknowable thing. I am not claiming that anything can't be true.
"Hey Carey not sure about all those other mountains in Guatemala, Japan wherever but I was only referring to our two mountains there ol' Mauna Loa and Kea.

They have typically kept the storms away and ripped them up in the past. Iselle was an exception.
"

Perhaps you could provide an example or two of when this has happened?
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

Not a problem for me, this has gone on since before I joined in the wayback years....

I do love how when addressing my statement only the Carib was picked out.... & how someone must feel that the mountains of Guatemala, Borneo, New Guinea, Taiwan, Sumatra, Japan STOP & rip apart ALL cyclonic storms that go near... & "protect" all the inhabitants from the storm wrath!
A well, there are some people believe in most anything that buzzes around their head without checking their facts!

Oh come on Carey. That holier than thou line fits pretty good on geochem and TomK, but on you it just looks like some out of style Salvation Army second hand pair of duds. Please try education rather than condemnation. Sugar always works better than vinegar, don't you think?

And besides, I am sure everyone here wants to hear how hurricanes beat out rocks. Especially when they are pile 14,000' high. How about some examples?