Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Hurricane Season
1voyager1 - Might be able to take a run up Pohaku to see a whitewater river running across it.

"He who postpones the hour of living is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out before he crosses." - Horace

Puna rustics wait for the river to run out across their subdivision roads before crossing.
https://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/ha...1387482433
There's a large band of nastiness about to hit Puna in the next hour or two, heading our way from the SE. Keep your pets safe!
whoa good morning all. Super duper raininess.

Those storm cells that windy app was showing that were coming our way are just dime a dozen now.

Still haven't noticed much wind. Just a few gusts when the cells come in.

You know Tom it is interesting. An older Hawaiian Kupuna told me that as a kid and I have heard it from MANY, MANY other people as I grew up here for about 40 years. "Our mountains protect us from the storms."

Heck I could be wrong. I have said that in the past and will again. I am not ever embarrassed to be wrong. I love learning.

All I know now is that we aren't getting any storm force winds from this hurricane here in Puna. Kinda like I was predicting yesterday.

So I when I looked, all I found was a site saying that my suspicion is a myth:

http://www.air-worldwide.com/Publication...l-Cyclone/

Still I think that Carey was underplaying it when the mountains were called a speed bump rather than what I have learned over the years that they are a wall that protects.

What do you think Tom? They provide little or no protection or significant protection from winds?
quote:
Originally posted by glassnumbers

extremely intense light breeze along with a super powerful gentle misting rain, this is the most vigorous weather event I have ever experienced

Aloha Smile

Had a feeling that was so thoroughly premature...

Oh yeah glassnumbers? How's your gentle misting rain now?
All I know now is that we aren't getting any storm force winds from this hurricane here in Puna.
------------
That is because it is too far away to the West. As of 6am, 240 miles SW of Hilo.
Yes understood and agreed. Good luck out there.
The mountains on Maui create Ho'okipa, windsurfing capital of the world. On the big island both South Point and Upolu Point are especially windy and are wind farm sites. Same for Kahuku on Oahu. Yes mountains do affect the wind, sometimes inhibiting it and sometimes accelerating it. Where did this stuff about protective walls come from? From the mere handfull of storms we have been around to notice in the last few decades? Why do people fall for the "Hawaiian Kupuna" or other ancient wisdom crap? Do you think that there was ever a time when most people weren't full of it?
Do far, in the 21 hours we have had rain in Keaau, our rain gauge has collected 15.85in of... I would think more that "misty rains" at times... and the storm is still quite a ways away, & hours & hours away from the south end of our island, having moved only about 50 miles north from my last post...
I will agree with NOAA on the description this morning "LANE CREEPING CLOSER TO HAWAII
TORRENTIAL RAIN SOAKING THE BIG ISLAND "
Why do people fall for the "Hawaiian Kupuna" or other ancient wisdom crap?

Oooh.

Not sure I agree with that harsh statement Mark. Our ancestors didn't have the technology we have but they learned a lot.

Maybe Snorkel will have an answer?
"Hawaiian chants and legends have foretold exactly what we've experienced."