Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Hurricane Season
On pace for record rainfall if this continues and stalls over us like I just heard is happening.
Apparently the storm has slowed in it's advancement.
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

ETA: Hawaii is the only place I have been where there are mountain & cyclonic storms & some of the population thinks that the mountains will keep the storms away & totally protect them....
Who said that?
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

"The expectation is
that Lane will weaken due to the combined and cumulative effects of
debilitating shear and the interruption of the circulation due to
proximity to the high mountains of Maui and the Big Island.
"

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/arc...1808231502

I think there should be signs at both ends off the saddle road, Caution, Speed Bumps Ahead.
ElysianWort
Punatic
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2018 : 05:56:43
You know Tom it is interesting. An older Hawaiian Kupuna told me that as a kid and I have heard it from MANY, MANY other people as I grew up here for about 40 years. "Our mountains protect us from the storms."
interruption of the circulation due to
proximity to the high mountains of Maui and the Big Island."
seems to get that the mountains have some effect, but WILL NOT keep the storm totally away,

Yes, good examples.
It's not black and white.
It's not either - or.
On a scale of 1 to 10, there are more choices than 1 or 10.

I think everyone believes a 13,000 foot high mountain will have some affect on weather, but few would say it has complete affect, that it's a wall, or it tears storms apart. Even fewer would say it has no affect. Most would be somewhere in the great unknown gray area in the middle. There's no sense arguing over what you call that (speed bump, pothole, Civil Defense Checkpoint), when most everyone probably agrees a 13,000 feet tall mountain can't be considered a 100% effective wall when the storm is 50,000 feet high.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
everyone believes a 13,000 foot high mountain will have some affect on weather

Fact: without the mountain, it would not snow on the Big Island.

That's "some affect" right there.
EW: “I’m so confused”
Self awareness kicks in.
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/?storm=Lane

It still has a long way to go.
a long way to go.

Anyone drive on Highway 130 or Highway 11 this morning?
Looks like we have plenty more rain and flooding in store for us today.

2 PM on Friday is going to be an interesting moment in Hurricane Lane's path for the folks on Maui and Oahu. That's when the storm is projected to take a sharp 90 degree turn west, and possibly diminish from a Category 1 into a Tropical Storm. It should happen quickly, over the course of an hour or two. Not unheard of, but somewhat unusual.

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
@PaulW EW: “I’m so confused”
Self awareness kicks in.

That gave me a good laugh. I'm going to use that line in some original song lyrics.

Getting my guitar...

edited for grammar. those > that