Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruggles Excused
Ironyak, they specifically ruled on Hawaii (states) right to own and sell ceded lands, and the legality of the ceding.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/113132163/07-1372-Transcript#

Riversnout, not saying the US Supreme Court is the ultimate global authority or anything, but as far as the US is concerned they are the final say, short of a constitutional convention or successful revolution. No subordinate legal authority would be wrong simply deferring to their precedent. No sense in Hawaii County paying to research an issue already decided by the Supreme Court or Congress.
No sense in Hawaii County paying to research an issue already decided by the Supreme Court or Congress.

Studies are one of our most important industries, right after tourism.
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

Ironyak, they specifically ruled on Hawaii (states) right to own and sell ceded lands, and the legality of the ceding.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/113132163/07-1372-Transcript#

Riversnout, not saying the US Supreme Court is the ultimate global authority or anything, but as far as the US is concerned they are the final say, short of a constitutional convention or successful revolution. No subordinate legal authority would be wrong simply deferring to their precedent. No sense in Hawaii County paying to research an issue already decided by the Supreme Court or Congress.

Just because the US court rubberstamped the parcel of rogues that overthrew the Kingdom does not make it legitimate. How about this one:

http://hawaiiankingdom.org/pdf/Federal_C...acted).pdf

Professor Williamson B.C. Chang, a law professor at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa, called this statement by the Swiss Court “an extraordinary assessment of the status of Hawaii with enormous ramifications. It confirms my own views that the United States never acquired the Hawaiian Islands, either in 1898 or thereafter.”
rogues that overthrew the Kingdom does not make it legitimate

On January 24, 1895 Queen Liliuokalani signed the final document abdicating her throne and swearing allegiance to the Republic of Hawaii, as well as an Oath of Loyalty to the Republic of Hawaii. It's not a popular document among Kingdom of Hawaii idealists which is why they prefer to talk about the events of 1893, but if you read the document it's difficult to get around the finality of the queen's written, signed statement and the completeness of the provisions contained within the statement. I've read other more optimistic interpretations from Kingdom believers, but it's hard to imagine any court anywhere would nullify what's written in black and white, and has stood as the defined legal framework for a functioning government in Hawaii* over 100 years.

After full and free consultation with my personal friends and with my legal advisors, both before and since my detention by military order in the Executive building, and acting in conformity with their advice, and also upon my own free volition... I do hereby and without any mental reservation or modification, and fully, finally, unequivocally, irrevocably, and forever abdicate, renounce and release ...
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/big60/Li...ation.html

* my phrase "a functioning government in Hawaii" could however be questioned

At a White House meeting in June, President Trump reportedly told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that “I remember Pearl Harbor.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Professor Chang needs to brush up on his reading comprehension, because all the court did was state the allegations, and then reject the case.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018...mes-claim/

Ruggles is apparently completely clueless.

snipped from the article:

"In the meantime, Ruggles said she will continue receiving her council salary, which amounts to about $70,000 a year.

“I don’t know why my salary keeps coming up,” she responded.
"

Some of you guys are being deliberately ignorant and hostile again, and that always terminates my aloha. Why didn't you snip this bit too?

"Ruggles said she is still carrying out other duties of her office, including asking the Federal Emergency Management Agency if Hawaiian Acres can receive funding to repair private roads damaged by Hurricane Lane.

However, she won’t be introducing bills and resolutions, believing that could constitute a war crime."

Also, you guys didn't seem to read the article. She's not invoking US law, but you guys are bringing up US law decisions.

"She raised the issue after Keanu Sai, whose website says he is the kingdom’s acting council of regency, sent a letter to elected officials. It contained a memorandum from Alfred deZayas, identified as an independent expert to the United Nations, that characterized the islands as a “sovereign nation-state in continuity.”

Basically, a consultant for the UN identifies Hawai'i not as a state of the US, but as a “sovereign nation-state in continuity.” Hawai'i was never legally introduced into the US with the proper paperwork, so, strictly legally speaking, this is actually correct.

That being the case, certain international laws then apply, and a citizen of America on illegal land enacting bills and resolutions would then constitute war crimes, seeing as how the aptly named Bayonet Constitution was enacted while the Honolulu Rifle Corp was very much in play.

With all that said, the chance of the UN going "Hey, America! you leave Hawai'i be!" and America actually doing that, I just don't see it. So, this relegates Jen's position into a purely moral one. If you want to criticize her about holding up the measure to require the county to transition to eco-friendly alternatives to certain herbicides, for example, feel free.

I won't be mad, you have a right. She is taking a moral stand over attending to the practical day to day, and you know what? It would be immoral not to voice your complaints, the present needs tending to. Siddhartha, the book, it is correct when it speaks on the middle path, and Jen may be straying too far down the path of moral purity, like when Siddhartha first became an ascetic. However, the legal chain is actually broken, as a fact.

Technically, Jen is correct that introducing new bills/resolutions is a war crime. So.... I don't know what to say, myself. Personally, I think attending to stuff like eco-friendly herbicides is more important as it has an immediate, real impact. On the other hand, I can understand how it would be impossible to ignore the illegal chain of a government making decisions where they shouldn't be. I don't envy her, either way, she loses. If she sides with her morals, the people will crap on her, and if she doesn't, she sells out her message. I do respect her stand, though. Very few politicians are willing to take a moral stand, because of aforementioned people-crapping-on-you reasons.
Aloha Smile
Basing all this on a statement from "an independent expert to the U.N." is a bit far fetched. Independent means he is separate from, and not a part of, the U.N.

If you take Ruggles position a little bit farther one could ask why she would accept U.S. currency as legal tender in payment of her salary? Or why would she be looking to FEMA to provide assistance to Hawaiian Acres roads?

Meanwhile in my examination of world history as relates to Hawaii the only county I am aware of that can claim it's legal status as not being over "stolen land" is, I believe, Iceland.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Protectors all over again.

Court decision in my favor: law of the land applies and is valid.

Court decision I don't agree with: your courts are an illegal occupation of my land.

She would be better off sitting in Council but claiming "conflict of interest" for every vote. It's a small island, I'm sure she knows enough people for this to apply.
Anyone have any theories on the real reason she's doing this? I'm trying to think of some but nothing yet.
Politics is a crafty business.