Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Hurricane Season
Because we have Magic Mountains

Magic? Really? Our mountains are magic? Wow. And here I was thinking they are big piles of rock. A certain amount of mass accumulated at a specific place on Each. So wide, so tall, a pile of rock with a molten core. And now you say they are magical, Paul? I’m impressed, I didn't think you had it in you.
Certainly, I've been reading here that they destroy any hurricane foolish enough to approach the Big Island, that has to be magic.

Why the quotation marks around "scientist", by the way? A bit cheeky from a "photographer" who pretends to be a "scientist".
You're a caution!
Certainly, I've been reading here that they destroy any hurricane foolish enough to approach the Big Island, that has to be magic.

Really? I think I missed that part. But yeah, if you say so. After all, you should know. You seem to know everything. The only humbug is everything you profess is more often than not wrong. Me a photographer? I don't even own a camera, unless you count my cell phone. Clink click.
Tom was right so far, and I much appreciate his input and the links he provided. Helped put my mind to ease and that means a lot these days in lower Puna. A never ending row of hurricanes following behind a major lava flow?....a bit much to take in.
Tom was right so far...

No, Tom embellishes his paraphrasing of NOAA's statement with misinterpretations one post after another. It sounds good, about as good as some charlatan on the edge of town selling snake oil to those that want to buy snake oil. He's says he's cool, you say he's cool, so everything he says is cool too. But you'd be surprised at how far afield he runs with each embellishment. He says well formed eye, NOAA says the eye is falling apart. He says it will steer it north, NOAA says northwest. Minor details but still..

I should add.. I don't know why Tom embellishes what should be a straight NOAA says and provide a link and a quote. But he does. Sort of like Trump does, interesting the similarities between the two.
He says well formed eye, NOAA says the eye is falling apart.
He says it will steer it north, NOAA says northwest.
Minor details but still..

Look at the spaghetti models. Each is unique, some quite different from the others. Watch the shape and direction of a hurricane's path and cone as it approaches the islands. It changes every day, sometimes several times a day.

When TomK posts a comment or answer to someones's question, the weather may have already changed by the time you read it, the storm already in a new, slightly different pattern.

Back in the day, when I moved to the rural countryside, upon first meeting my new farming neighbors, folks who I perceived as being deeply attuned to the land and sky, I asked one...
"So, what's the weather like out here, in general?"
"Variable."*

After living there a few years I discovered he was 100% correct.

* His response with the proper inflection as I remember was, "varabul"

At a White House meeting in June, President Trump reportedly told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that “I remember Pearl Harbor.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"I took pictures yes, but for the USGS I never was, directly, a photographer. My collect [sic] of photos is as rich as it is because...."
...you're a photographer? Humbug indeed. Or did you mean "is" instead of "am not"? You are very Trumpian yourself.

--

So are these big waves the last few days from Norman or is it still too far away?
quote:
Originally posted by glinda

Tom was right so far...

No, Tom embellishes his paraphrasing of NOAA's statement with misinterpretations one post after another. It sounds good, about as good as some charlatan on the edge of town selling snake oil to those that want to buy snake oil. He's says he's cool, you say he's cool, so everything he says is cool too. But you'd be surprised at how far afield he runs with each embellishment. He says well formed eye, NOAA says the eye is falling apart. He says it will steer it north, NOAA says northwest. Minor details but still..

I should add.. I don't know why Tom embellishes what should be a straight NOAA says and provide a link and a quote. But he does. Sort of like Trump does, interesting the similarities between the two.

glinda I didn't say anything about cool??? I followed the links about Norman furnished by TomK, and it confirmed what TomK said about Norman not expected to be a problem for the Big Island. That's a good thing, come on......relax a little.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

So are these big waves the last few days from Norman or is it still too far away?
No Paul, everyone knows the waves come from the sea.
As glinda has stated that "Our mountains are magic", so maybe glinda believes they are making the high swell, but NOAA seems to think, unlike glinda, that the east swell (& waves) are from Norman:
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/AFD.php

Silly NOAA, not realizing that the swell is NOT from Norman, good thing we have "Magic Mountain glinda"!