Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Hurricane Season
Yesterday's forecast discussion mentioned increasing Southwesterly shear toward the end of the forecast track as it approached the islands. Hoping this is still in the forecast. Also hoping the magic mountains don't block the shear. Smile
Also hoping the magic mountains don't block the shear. Smile

Yeah you gotta watch out for them mountains. Though they are much more predisposed to getting along with, and maybe even encouraging, being a part of, well at least partying hard with.. sheer. They are mountains after all. Unlike the silly little people that work on them...
I think we all live and work on mountains here. Hmm, how many mountains do you need to get a mountain range?

I was surprised to see it so calm this morning, Norman must've weakened a lot.
I think we all live and work on mountains here...

See, some of them get it... sometimes.
Any cameras you can recommend? I want to get some candid shots of Olivia.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

Any cameras you can recommend? I want to get some candid shots of Olivia.

I'd suggest the TMT for the really close up view.

I should add..

I am really enjoying Of Monsters and Men - Beneath The Skin. That droning on.. the beat of each song.. is as if it is an anthem. But the truth is I am so in love with Nanna Bryndis Hilmarsdottir, she can do no wrong. OMG Paul, did you ever grok, I mean really grok, Particles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEj7xYyj9n4

I mean yeah Olafur is to die for good, but man what she did on that one track with him. Talk about magic!

And yeah Paul, art speaks. Pursue your passion brah.
It looks as if I'll be back in my home for Olivia.
I should be able to deal with anything she tries to throw my way.
If her track follows the predictions, she'll be down to storm strength, the strongest winds should be the first ones coming out of the north.
There are a couple of ohias that could come down towards the house in that period.
As she progresses, the winds should shift to coming out of the west.
That should be a completely safe direction for our house plus, she should continue to lose energy also causing the winds to lessen even more.

I'm thinking that if we get through her start up, the worst will be over.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
the truth is I am so in love with Nanna Bryndis Hilmarsdottir

I think I can see why, there’s an obvious sympatico.

You both live on an island (she’s from Iceland)
Big Island & Iceland each have two relatively tall volcanic mountains.
Iceland like Hawaii Island has never been hit by a hurricane, due no doubt, to the wall-like protection afforded by its soaring mountains.

I liked the song!

Senior members of the Trump Administration described Trump's mood Wednesday as "volcanic." Wed, Sept 6, 2018
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"Yeah you gotta watch out for them mountains. Though they are much more predisposed to getting along with, and maybe even encouraging, being a part of, well at least partying hard with.. sheer. They are mountains after all. Unlike the silly little people that work on them..."

Since the upper-level winds that create hurricane-destroying wind shear typically occur between roughly 20,000-feet and the top of the troposphere, it's difficult to imagine how 14,000-foot mountains have any effect on those winds at all.
Incidentally, I found a nice site that shows the forecast tracks of storms and then, if you want, the current upper and low-level winds. For Olivia, just click on the storm on the map and then click 8km resolution. You can see from the wind barbs that the storm is experiencing very little shear at the moment, but that shear gets stronger near the islands as the upper-level winds blow in the opposite direction to the low-level trades.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/#

For those unfamiliar with wind barbs, there's an explanation here:

https://goo.gl/vrmBEU