Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruggles Excused
"Are you sure you live in lower Puna? I find it strange to be having this debate outside of a church social or a red state" -ironyak

I have mixed feelings about marijuana legalization after living in Puna most of my life. I've studied cultural anthropology and understand humans have always sought out substances to alter their consciousness as can be found in excavated grave sites going way way back. Our earliest ancestors buried their loved ones with weed and other substances and other items dear to them. I understand and honor the need. What I don't get is daily habitual use instead of on an occasional basis and smoked or ingested with reverence and intent such as we have studied with indigenous tribal rituals. What I see is it being used as a waking neurological anesthetic. Smoking weed is like taking a valium plus major insights if one is still enough. Powerful stuff and a gift from the Gods in my opinion, not to be taken lightly.

Living and working around people high on it all day every day or most of the day or days doesn't seem healthy and I notice a good deal of suppressed emotions erupting inappropriately with daily smokers. I notice other emotional imbalances as well but won't go into it here.

I believe in minimal laws so yes by all means make it legal however I am not looking forward to the long term effects it will have on our society if we continue to think it's harmless to smoke habitually when it becomes legal.

Just my opinion at the moment. First to admit I learn something new everyday.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Please read our rules and regulations before playing a round:
1) Greens are limited.
(snip)

Yet another hole in one post from HotPE! Funny...

Cheers,
Kirt
"I believe in minimal laws so yes by all means make it legal however I am not looking forward to the long term effects it will have on our society if we continue to think it's harmless to smoke habitually when it becomes legal."

Hate to break it to you... but people have been smoking it habitually regardless of it's legal status.
It is an interesting and complicated perspective you have Punatic007. I would only suggest that if you are concerned about health effects, then putting money into treatment and health care is a more effective and moral approach than paying prisons to confine people for 77 years.

http://bigislandnow.com/2018/01/29/inter...ollective/

While you might not agree with recreational use, I would hope decriminalization would at least make some sense to you.
On the subject of marijuana use, our US Senator Brian Schatz today recommended medical cannabis be offered veterans through the VA.
US Senator
Veterans
(Apple Pie, for when they get the munchies?)

U.S. Sen. Brian Schatz announced legislation Thursday that would allow doctors at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to recommend pot to veterans in 31 states with medical cannabis programs.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/09/07...-cannabis/

Senior members of the Trump Administration described Trump's mood Wednesday as "volcanic." Wed, Sept 6, 2018
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

It is an interesting and complicated perspective you have Punatic007. I would only suggest that if you are concerned about health effects, then putting money into treatment and health care is a more effective and moral approach than paying prisons to confine people for 77 years.

While you might not agree with recreational use, I would hope decriminalization would at least make some sense to you.

I already wrote that ironyak, I agree with you completely regarding decriminalization. However it seems some folks are playing with fire when a law still exist with imprisonment penalties and they break that law anyway. That is known as a criminal mentality. I know it's hard to contemplate that fact when it comes to weed, but your more successful growers thrive in the risk/thrill environment. For example, one neighbor did 10 yrs for growing weed, got out and was growing again within months, got caught and back to prison. His actions caused so much sadness for all of us. Our penal system is far from perfect but it's actually better than the great majority on the planet. Work with it not against it as you can see happening successfully all over the country with legalization.

There's big money in growing hence there has been a criminal element involved in the marijuana scene here for decades. They are more interested in the money than the cause. I've seen it all up close. I know a very successful grower who does NOT want the legalization of marijuana, he states the price will drop too much and he'll lose his big profits. And he loves to sing the praises of the sacred weed.

Bringing it back on topic, I don't know Jennifer Ruggles father and his particular struggle, but it's obvious his daughter has no problem working against our local government not with it.

quote:

They knew it was illegal and grew it anyway. I doubt (very highly) that this medical co-op was done with zero profit in mind. The profits are what have done all these supposed care givers in.
The state legalizes pot for medicinal use but provides no legal avenue for patients to buy it. How many years should this go on before it becomes entrapment? Just throwing this out there. It's her father, so kinda on topic.
Punatic007 - However it seems some folks are playing with fire when a law still exist with imprisonment penalties and they break that law anyway. That is known as a criminal mentality.

We are a nation founded on and built from a criminal mentality. Jefferson, Washington, Tubman, Thoreau, Stanton, Parks, King, Berrigan, and literally millions of other people who broke the law in standing up for the freedoms many take for granted today. One day soon hopefully we can look back with new freedom and recognize how the government's laws on this matter were again deeply wrong for punishing people like Mike who exercised their rights.

“Law and justice are not always the same. When they aren't, destroying the law may be the first step toward changing it.” - Gloria Steinem
quote:

[i]“Law and justice are not always the same. When they aren't, destroying the law may be the first step toward changing it.” - Gloria Steinem

FTFY

“Statehood and justice are not always the same. When they aren't, destroying Statehood may be the first step toward changing it.” - Benjamin Franklin