Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Hurricane Season

Voyager posts,

"It looks as if I'll be back in my home for Olivia."

YES!!!!!!!!! BACK IN YOUR OWN HOME!!!!! so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure if that's going to be a good thing.

1am Sat.
Now they're dropping her track further South.
Looks to be almost a direct hit N. of Hilo per NWS.
Even so, won't know until she gets here.
At least they're is forecasting for storm force winds to arrive in the morning daylight rather than at night.
And, we're still on the slower side.
Maybe I'll check the chainsaws out tomorrow, make sure they're running and operational.
Might even pull a tree or two down to protect the house.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
"I'd suggest the TMT for the really close up view."

I'd also suggest this is the most stupid comment of the year.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Wow, cool, do I get a prize?

I though it was pretty silly (I know, right?) that Paul was trying to take pics of a hurricane, they are so big he's so small, but if he is serious, and considering how far away it is, I figure the TMT is the perfect camera for the job. I am so glad you agree.

All things considered, I think you should keep the prize, no need give 'em to me. You've earned it, you just wait, you'll see.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic...e#contents

Heading straight for Honoka’a!
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic...e#contents

Heading straight for Honoka’a!

There's a high degree of uncertainty with Olivia's track at this time. A couple models have it passing south of the island.
So, we'll see. With our luck, it will be a Puna strike once again. If it did land in Honokaa then Mauna Kea would protect those of us further south.
Tuesday, Sept 11 - Olivia weakens to a tropical storm
Wed, Sept 12 - center of storm reaches Big Island (maybe, subject to change)

Things to watch for - the size of storm as it approaches Big Island on Monday or Tuesday, remember how far away we were from the center of Lane, hundreds of miles distant
Things to remember - Iselle was a tropical storm

Senior members of the Trump Administration described Trump's mood Wednesday as "volcanic." Wed, Sept 6, 2018
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Tom: both YOU AND Glinda do this back and forth sarcasm comedy thing like a lot of others out here when they disagree. You cannot tell me that you don't realize this. So obviously your stupid comment point is invalid. And it's obviously hard to take most of those comments seriously.

There's a high degree of uncertainty with Olivia's track at this time. A couple models have it passing south of the island.
So, we'll see. With our luck, it will be a Puna strike once again.

Yeah Puna yet again huh? Sure hope not. I don't seem to recall many storms with a track like this one. In the past they all seemed to go north or south of our Island, (except Iselle)

If were any storms in the past with a similar track I don't recall.
This is the first storm since Iselle that I've really had any concern about. The spag models are pretty clustered and the forecast track looks tight. We might have some 60MPH winds to deal with and higher gusts. We're far enough out in the forecast that it could be worse than that. While it might not be a hurricane as it nears the island, this storm could cause more damage than the ones that were.
Figure #2 on this SOEST report shows a tropical depression that was close to the anticipated Olivia track (11am Sat 9/9) in the 1949-1997 time period...
https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/met/Faculty...hurricane/