Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helicopter post deleted--see FAA thread
Okay whatever you guys.

Now I got a bunch of people telling me I did not see contrails and I could not hear them. Also if I did I must be high or suffering from heat exhaustion if I did.

Get your ears checked- I heard them. Didn't coincide with the position of the speck-like plane obviously but I saw them- Upgrade your glasses prescription.

I'll bet you there are military/air-force jets that occasionally do practice runs and I'm sure that every mission is not announced.

I think it's absurd, those of you trying to discredit those facts. You must be really bored.

Contrails around Hawaii? Sure. I have seen them
Chemtrails? Nope, unless you smoke too much weed.

BTW, EW, USFGS and NASA have flown some jets around here recently, doing research on the lava flow, volcano, etc. Their jets have some pretty neat tech on-board.
I'll bet you there are military/air-force jets that occasionally do practice runs and I'm sure that every mission is not announced.

OK.
I contacted my sources (military pilot) and was told Air Force fights would never fly with transponders off UNLESS it was an operational flight. Meaning, generally, a bombing mission, which is highly unlikely over Puna.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"I contacted my sources (military pilot) and was told Air Force fights would never fly with transponders off UNLESS it was an operational flight. Meaning, generally, a bombing mission, which is highly unlikely over Puna."

I think that's a bit of a red herring. I've never seen military flights show up on Flightaware even though I know they've taken off as I've seen them (e.g., from HNL and ITO). I suspect Flightaware only shows civilian flights. I've also seen USAF fighters circle the summit while I've been up there during the day plus seen them practise bombing targets in the saddle. No contrails though...
Apparently FlightAware filters military aircraft from their tracking:

Flight tracking websites, such as FlightRadar24 and FlightAware, generally track aircraft using publicly available ADS-B transponder information. ... Military aircraft are not included in public ADS-B tracking information.Jan 19, 2015

adsbexchange.com is supposed to include military aircraft.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Had a look at adsbexchange.com and decided that it requires far too much work to answer anything in this thread or the large plane over HPP one.
adsbexchange.com and decided that it requires far too much work

After comparing tracking info for a few days here’s my conclusion:

Military Transponders - switched on in flight, unless someone is about to get bombed
FlightAware - excellent tracking for commercial and private flights, more complete than adsbexchange, military flights are filtered out of their system, although private flights from military bases are shown, recent history easy to use
adsbexchange - does show military flights, but the overall system is nowhere near as comprehensive as FlightAware, history feature requires input of some flight info
Private tracking for personal use - is possible if you wish to invest in the equipment, will track military flights