Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with solar hot water heater controller
After a couple of cold showers I realized my Goldline SunEarth Inc Model GL-30-LCO controller is inoperable. Not under warranty.

I tested, the pump is working, it's definitely the controller as none of the lights are on and nobody as home. Does not appear to have a fuse or anything. Maybe a relay in the center of the unit.

They look to be a couple hundred bucks. Repair? Replace? Use alternative model?

Any help appreciated.
Take it to the solar guys on the hiway in mtn view

HPP

HPP
I'm guessing you checked for power at the outlet it's plugged into.

They are about $130.00 on EBAY.

Build it Green in Hilo would have controllers.
819 Kanoelehua Ave. Suite A, Hilo Hawaii 96720

Drainpipe Plumbing in HPP would have them too. Might be pricey.
Very timely, terracore...
I noticed the other day that the hot water was only lasting a couple minutes. Went down and saw that mine still has power and pump was running. Then I googled your controller and realized we have the identical one. What I don't know is if I simply have a bad temperature sensor, and if so, which one. Hesitant to order a new controller if there is a sensor issue.
I heard back from the manufacturer:

On 11/28/2018 12:50 PM, Bob Danielson wrote:
The GoldLine control seems to have lost its power transformer or a solder connection has come lose on the back of the circuit board; we do not repair these controls .

Our distributor , Sun Source Energy Products , mbonte@sunsourceproducts.com , may be able to help with this or showing the digital LCD controls available for solar water heating systems .
Thank you,,
Bob Danielson
SunEArth,Inc

Bob:
The solder connections on the transformer and main power supply capacitor have been a problem on the older Goldline controls - easily repaired by someone who can solder
Rich
I am now thinking I have a bad temp sensor since the pump is running all the time. What it is doing is causing my hot water to flow back up into the panels at night, effectively cooling the water back down.
My solution was to simplify my system. I bought a small 10 watt solar panel for the roof and directly attached it to a DC circulation pump. When the sun is out it runs and on cloudy days runs slower. At night it is off, no need for electronics and sensors that are prone to failure.

Never have had a problem and plenty of hot water in over 10 years of use.

quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

I am now thinking I have a bad temp sensor since the pump is running all the time. What it is doing is causing my hot water to flow back up into the panels at night, effectively cooling the water back down.

Unplug the controller and open up the door at the bottom and remove the wires hooked up to terminals 3 and 4 and then plug the controller back in.If the pump doesn't run the thermistor on the panel is bad or the wire is shorted.
"I bought a small 10 watt solar panel for the roof and directly attached it to a DC circulation pump. When the sun is out it runs and on cloudy days runs slower. At night it is off, no need for electronics and sensors that are prone to failure."

How much does it cost to put a DC pump in? Maybe instead of replacing the controller I should replace the AC pump! I already have a 10 watt solar panel currently doing nothing.

How do you stop the water in the tank from overheating?

ETA: content
The hot water in the tank is never super hot in my system. Just not enough sun. But it wouldn't be a problem anyway because of the mixing valve on the output of the tank which controls the water temp to the house.

I bought the top of the line Elcid hot water circulating pump for around $200 but see much cheaper solar powered 12 volt DC pumps around like the following on Amazon for $20. My pump just circulates the water between the tank and water panel on my 2nd story roof with no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Zjchao-Solar-Wate...B00E9QTSH2