Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private company plans Puna lava viewing
Here is a view of fissure 8 from private property right next to the Y intersection just past Lava Tree park.

Once the barricade on 132 is removed it will be possible for people to drive to and view the fissure from this location.

http://lavacam.org/
it will be possible for people to

Trespass.

Highway 132 is a public road.Why would it be trespassing to drive on a public road ?
The Hot Dog Guy used to park at the Y and sell hot dogs.There's room for dozens of cars to park there.
Here is a... view the fissure from this location.

Nice photo Obie.
I'd suggest the tour company add one value added feature to their Fissure 8 - Lava Tour Package - - remote activated fireworks launched from inside the cone. Then there might actually be something worth looking at, more than a slightly discernible hump on the horizon.

"I want great climate, we’re going to have that.” President Donald J. Trump, while viewing the massive wildfire devastation 11/17/18. (The J stands for Jenius)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I look forward to the lava viewing area on leilanidude's roof. BYOB?
I do not get the fascination with fissure 8.. it is dead.. cold dried up dead. Tourists see the same sort of thing as soon as they drive out of the airport in Kona. Lava fields, vents, are all over the place. The idea that there is something different about the lava fields in Leilani verses anywhere else on the island is silly.

I particularly like the whole it is dangerous thing. The whole island is made up of the stuff and people walk all over it all the time. But wow to the idea you can not walk on the stuff that came out of fissure 8. Our government is pathetic. Unfortunately nobody with a lick of sense actually runs to be elected to be part of it. It all Bozos and Bolos..
Here's an update on naming the already named Fissure 8, so tourists will know what to call that thing in the far distance they're squinting at:

The Hawaii Board on Geographic Names received three name proposals so far to rename fissure 8 on Hawaii Island.

Puu Leilani
Puu O Aliaau
Keahiluawalu O Pele

Another update and status report will be announced in the next seven to 10 days.
They hope to finalize the name by Summer 2019.

Public meetings for community input will take place sometime from April to June 2019.
https://www.kitv.com/story/39564090/hawa...-fissure-8

"I want great climate, we’re going to have that.” President Donald J. Trump, while viewing the massive wildfire devastation 11/17/18. (The J stands for Jenius)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The Hot Dog Guy used to park at the Y

DId he have written permission from Kapoho Land & Development Co Ltd?

Highway 132 is a public road.

Checkpoint requires ID and credentials. That's not exactly "public" in the usual sense of the word.
Puu Leilani
Puu O Aliaau
Keahiluawalu O Pele
----------
And the poor tourists will have a tough time pronouncing or spelling any of the three.
Keep it Fissure 8...
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

The Hot Dog Guy used to park at the Y

DId he have written permission from Kapoho Land & Development Co Ltd?

Highway 132 is a public road.

Checkpoint requires ID and credentials. That's not exactly "public" in the usual sense of the word.

The land at the Y is part of the property that is leased to PGV.They must not have objected to him parking there because I have seen PGV workers there eating.

The checkpoint goes away next Thursday:
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...next-week/

The land where the lava cam is located is a 5 acre parcel that belongs to a friend of mine.