Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwest Airlines - announcement coming..
Southwest announced in May it intends to offer flights from four California cities: Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento and San Diego In Hawaii, Southwest will serve: Honolulu on Oahu, Kahului on Maui, Lihue on Kauai, and Kona on the Big Island.

I can already drive to Kona for a direct flight to OAK or SJC. Competition might drive fares down, but what I really want is to shave 2-3 hours off my travel time...
Think of gates as paid parking ... First come first serve.if there is only one airline running of course they can brand it to there label. But with another one sharing, it will also be branded with their logo.

... Flying east to West takes less fuel than flying West to East. (Planet rotation.. upper level winds.. etc.) I would think.
Competition might drive fares down,

From the article I referenced:
Over the last six months, the least expensive round trip fares between the mainland and Hawaii have been in the low $300s, and occasionally (and remarkably) even dipping below that threshold. Prior to Southwest's announcement, the cheapest fares typically ran in the $400-$500 range.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"Over the last six months, the least expensive round trip fares between the mainland and Hawaii have been in the low $300s and occasionally (and remarkably) even dipping below that threshold"

Alaskan Airlines in September of this year...$125.00 fares each way from Kona to Seattle. My wife and I jumped on that one.
This is the golden age of air travel.
Some more info for those interested on southwest airlines progress into the Hawaii market. I'm looking forward to this big time!

https://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-hawai...ne-update/
I can't get excited about flying in a 175 passenger cattle car with only 3 lavatories.
Agreed, Obie! However, maybe we should look at the plus side. All these cheapie fare folks will flock over to Southwest, leaving more space for us on the better airlines and planes!
7. Hilo is on the Southwest Hawaii map according to SWA executives. We aren’t clear if that will be inter-island only, or if a San Diego or Oakland to Hilo flight is a possibility. There is only one flight at present between the mainland and Hilo.

Farther north on the west coast, please. Do San Diegans actually fly to Hawaii? I thought they considered their climate the best of all.
This is why budget airlines are such a good idea. I just want to get there, couldn't care less about the "comfort". There isn't much of that on any airline anyway.