Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Water Bottling Plant in Hilo Proposed
quote:
Originally posted by glinda

My point is that there are a myriad of interacting variables involved. Need many 100s of years of data from reliable sources - not a measuring station in an orchard that evolves into a major airport.

Please elaborate. I am very curious about this "measuring station in an orchard that evolves into a major airport." This is a mystery to me. Do we really have one of those? Where is it?

I believe it is called Chicago O'Hare. It could, however, been another airport, but as I recall, it was in Chicago.

There are lots of other instances. It's the expansion of cities that creates concrete jungles and jacks up the temps in that area. Well of course, it will look like global warming if all the measuring equipment gets surrounded by the "concrete jungle".

just look at known historic facts.

We've gone from "Ice Age" to temperate weather. Ice sheets covered much of current USA, and nature did it, not mankind.

Now you are telling me that a few hypothetical inches of ocean-level rise is reason to sacrifice lifestyle? Doesn't seem to convince Algore to sacrifice his!!!

When I first became aware of this issue, it was an Ice Age that they were saying is on its way. Then global warming, and now "climate change". Really?

Speaking Truth to Lies / Facts to Ignorance
Here Open d, if you want to continue to share your ignorance and lack of facts, maybe you can read this new CB article titled...

Hawaii 2040: Climate Change Is Already Here. And We’re Running Out Of Time

https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/01/hawaii...t-of-time/

And tell us how the writers got it all wrong. How the effects of man induced global warming are really a lot less than they report. Please, help us all see the errors of our ways. Free us, oh wise one, from our worries and concerns.
quote:
Originally posted by the ignorant lier

I believe it is called Chicago O'Hare. It could, however, been another airport, but as I recall, it was in Chicago.
Ah, and here I was think you were talking about our solar observatory which is certainly not in an orchard, and has been gathering good data for way more than 50 years. Though from your posts I imagine you have no idea about that, or what is being learned about man induced climate change from their observations. But then, again from your posts, I gather you know nothing about what you are saying on any topic relating to climate issues.
What don't you understand about this fact:

Global sea level has fluctuated widely in the recent geologic past. It stood 4-6 meters above the present during the last interglacial period, 125,000 years ago, but was 120 m lower at the peak of the last ice age, around 20,000 years ago. A study of past sea level fluctuations provides a longer-term geologic context, which can help us better anticipate future trends.

It seems to me that if the sea levels were 4-6 meters higher in the last interglacial period, they could be expected to keep rising to that level again. Without the interference of mankind. The only effect mankind is having, is this process is being speeded up.
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by the ignorant lier

I believe it is called Chicago O'Hare. ]Ah, and here I was think you were talking about our solar observatory which is certainly not in an orchard, and has been gathering good data for way more than 50 years. Though from your posts I imagine you have no idea about that, or what is being learned about man induced climate change from their observations. But then, again from your posts, I gather you know nothing about what you are saying on any topic relating to climate issues.

Why must you constantly embarrass yourself with your silly attacks.

50 years....ooooh hoooo. A blink of the eye. Call me when you have 200-1,000 years of data. While it is true I don't do original research, I read and listen to people that have, and who have analyzed the work of others, and from what I have learned, the overwhelming amount of "climate change", "ocean level change" etc., is natural. If you are worried about that last degree or last inch, well then, by all means, worry, but don't think that your capitulation to the Algore's of the world sets precedence that obligates me to do so, for I won't. Drive over to Hilo and see if the harbor looks any different, or the pier at Kailua. The tidal difference overwhelms any overall difference.

I'll not be another Chicken Little!!!

BTW, it is spelled Liar.

Speaking Truth to Lies / Facts to Ignorance
quote:

Here Open d, if you want to continue to share your ignorance and lack of facts, maybe you can read this new CB article titled...

Hawaii 2040: Climate Change Is Already Here. And We’re Running Out Of Time

https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/01/hawaii...t-of-time/

And tell us how the writers got it all wrong. How the effects of man induced global warming are really a lot less than they report. Please, help us all see the errors of our ways. Free us, oh wise one, from our worries and concerns.

Agenda driven at best!!!
Have a nice day[Smile]

Poste Script

Go take some pictures of the harbor at Hilo and the pier at Kailua and anywhere else you chose. Print them out or otherwise archive them.

Then, and this is important, just STOP worrying.

Ten years from now, go back to the places you originally photographed, and repeat the process.

Then compare the two sets, and after comparison, come back to PW and report your finding. If you really want to make it accurate consult your tide tables each time and use the same tidal state each time (I suggest the highest high tide of the year for each session)

Speaking Truth to Lies!!! / Facts to Ignorance!!!
I believe it is called Chicago O'Hare. It could, however, been another airport,

Anecdotal evidence, where a person tries to use an example, which may be a real or not, is far removed from statistical evidence.

Here is a video (below) which can be used as an example of anecdotal evidence. The floor is fact, touched on briefly here and there by someone trying to prove their point. They take leaps of faith, spin the truth, and there's an impressive amount of jumping and hopping. Admittedly it can be incredible to watch, but usually I'm left thinking, how do they do it? An airport orchard? A fox on the runway? Really, you think that proves your point?

From Saturday, January 12th.
Remember, the floor is fact. How much fact do you need when you have other techniques at your disposal? (Some might call them tricks):
https://youtu.be/4ic7RNS4Dfo

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Just read this thread in its entirety after having been gone on a dive trip to various parts of the South Pacific. I'll bring just 2 points to the discussion:

- I've seen first hand coral reefs destroyed by rapidly rising ocean temperatures. I thought the bleaching damage done to reefs on the Kona side was bad. Seeing what has happened to the Great Barrier Reef is almost beyond words - mile after mile of death.

- Open-d has too much time on his hands if he can argue this much with people he denigrates as consistently as he does the people who live in Puna.
Open-d has too much time on his hands

I hereby resign my commission. Hopefully Open-D can maintain the standards of discourse to which Punaweb has become accustomed.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

I believe it is called Chicago O'Hare. It could, however, been another airport,

Anecdotal evidence, where a person tries to use an example, which may be a real or not, is far removed from statistical evidence.

An airport orchard? A fox on the runway? Really, you think that proves your point?

No, it doesn't prove anything, it is only one example, but taken in total, where the concrete jungle and its increased temps have altered readings, explains much of the perceived temperature increases. I don't know what the "fox on the runway" is about. Are you referring to the time I came across a family of foxes living inside the fence at LAX?

Speaking Truth to Lies!!! / Facts to Ignorance!!!