Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwest Airlines - announcement coming..
At one point Southwest said that Hilo was in their plans, but I haven't heard anything about it lately. I'm no expert, but it seems like it would be worth it for the feed to their mainland routes and/or their Texas model of profitable flights of less than 250 miles.
Dear Hilo-side residents, we're still screwing you because we can. Love, Hawaiian Airlines
It's not just Hawaiian screwing Hilo-side residents.
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

At one point Southwest said that Hilo was in their plans, but I haven't heard anything about it lately. I'm no expert, but it seems like it would be worth it for the feed to their mainland routes and/or their Texas model of profitable flights of less than 250 miles.

Southwest has Hilo on their radar but it won't happen until all the "real" airports are rolled out. We will be last.
"We will be last."

Typical, but I can't blame them. Unlike the state and county, they watch their bottom line and made sound financial decisions.
Southwest has Hilo on their radar

Apparently "competition" means "be where everyone else already is".

won't happen until all the "real" airports are rolled out

If the economy doesn't "soften" before then.
Island Air said the same thing years back when they launched inter-island service between honolulu and Kona, Kahalui, and Lihue. It never happened.
There are more Hilo to Honolulu flights than from Kona to Honolulu. Lots of daily commuters.
So their business model right now is to offer flights between the islands but those flights are continuations of flights to and from the mainland.

They will never match the frequency of Hawaiian's flights.
They will be flying 737 MAX jets, and I'd be just a bit apprehensive about getting on one of them right now. https://www.usnews.com/news/business/art...-737-crash