Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keaau transfer station - rumors
I've heard a rumor that the Keaau transfer station might close or start charging fees for trash in the near future. I've not seen anything in the news about this. Does anyone know more?
Big mistake to start charging. Don't we have enough trash, abandoned cars, old refrigerators, TV sets, stoves that are already dumped on back roads, empty lots, etc, etc? Lazy people who have no sense of responsibility are doing this now. Start charging, and then the people who low income, cheap, whatever, will also start doing it. Our biggest industry I would think, is tourism. Tourists don't want to pay money and burn up there vacation time spending it in a place that looks like a trash heap.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
My understanding is that the Hilo dump will be closing sometime this year. And yes they are tossing around the idea of charging for disposal.

Once they start charging the new dump will be at stainback hwy, hwy130, hwy11, hwy19, railroad Ave. Hwy 132,137 etc etc...
Tourists don't want to pay money and burn up there vacation time spending it in a place that looks like a trash heap.

Eliminating vacation rentals solves that problem -- tourists can just stay in the nice clean resorts where they belong.
the new dump will be at stainback hwy, hwy130, hwy11, hwy19, railroad Ave. Hwy 132,137 etc

That’s certainly convenient, but why not make it a step closer to the source? Put the dumps in big box parking lots, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, as well as McDonalds, Pizza Hut...
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
So far, the usually rapaciously hungry for revenue county has backed off of charging at transfer stations for the obvious reasons mentioned above. Like a bad penny, however, this disastrously ill-conceived idea keeps resurfacing. They just might be stupid enough to try it at some point, though.
but why not make it a step closer to the source? Put the dumps in big box parking lots, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, as well as McDonalds, Pizza Hut...

Gee, just pass an ordinance that requires all 'big box' kine outlets to ship as much trash out of here that they ship in. After all they bring in containers full of stuff that go back empty. And everyone of the items in those containers are packaged in what soon becomes trash. Might as well call it the retail's trash instead of the consumer's. Problem solved.. or at least turned into someone else's problem.
Are you talkin’ trash again? Enough of that trash talk.
People throw trash everywhere when the dump is free. If you start charging the whole island will be buried in it
start charging fees for trash

Here’s an idea.
Expand the HI-5 program.
5 cent deposit on all containers - - metal soup cans, tuna cans, yogurt containers, prescription bottles, etc...
10 cent depo for small cardboard packaging, 25 cents for large
A depo on all disposable packaging.

Then, when you go to the dump they don’t charge you a fee, they refund your deposit $. Cash back. People would pick up any litter.
Think of all the extra County workers that would be required to operate the program!

I said it was an idea, not a good idea.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves