Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP Thieves Working Memorial Day
Or first name I___?
initials
first name I___?

I didn’t notice her name. To be honest I was probably so impressed with the cool on-board computer in an adjustable swiveling mount that I didn’t think to look. I felt like I was in an episode of BI-CSI. The officer could quickly pull the computer and keyboard in front of him, type in the info, swing it closer for me to look at the photo for a moment, then safely back out of the way again. It’s an impressive system and with a trained officer like I spoke with, lightning fast.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Good job but I’m skeptical. No crime was committed. I doubt the police will do anything.
"No crime was committed."

Perhaps not in that moment, but if the suspects have outstanding warrants or other charges pending, it might provoke an arrest . . . or not. Law enforcement in these parts is haphazard, but the officer in this case seems on the ball.
"No crime was committed."
Perhaps not in that moment,

There have been repeated thefts in that parking area over the last 2-3 weeks, with damage to numerous vehicles, including a friend’s. That’s why I called it in. The times, method and MO seemed similar. If the police pull these two thieves over and there’s anything in their car that doesn’t belong to them, they have a list of people who also reported damage and stolen items. My report was just an ID, and “probable cause” to pull the car over?

Also, there was another car in the parking area when I left. When the thieves didn’t leave immediately I assumed they would prey on that vehicle. The crooks thought better of it and left a minute later. The police sent another officer who checked on that car and told me it wasn’t damaged.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
You did a great thing there HOTPE, I hope the police follow up on it and at least give them a stern warning.
Do you mean the trailhead to Shipman Beach? I heard of some tourists who parked there recently and had their gas tank punctured and siphoned off! That was a new one on me. Seems the cops just shrugged when they told them, suggested it was their fault for leaving valuables (i.e. gas) in their vehicle.
Why won't County police do sting operations? A place like this with a history of issues would be so easy.
BIG Mahalo TO YOU hotpe........
.Absolutely love hearing about citizens using intelligence to stop a would be predator!!!! And a very big 2nd Mahalo to you as your 1ST CLASS CITIZENRY, thwarted a couple of creeps ripping off others in my hood!
"Why won't County police do sting operations? A place like this with a history of issues would be so easy."

- - - -

Yes, the technology is pretty foolproof. The answer is probably in part that a message has been sent out to police by the courts and prosecutors to go slow on catching thieves.

A fair number of thieves are caught in any event during normal policing (response to calls). Many small-time thieves are released on probation. No need to get into proactive searches for thieves, and burden our already busy court system.
California lawmakers passed a law that eliminates bail. Basically most criminals get set free at no cost until trial unless the prosecutor can prove to a judge they are a flight risk or so incredibly dangerous they need to be held in prison until the trial date without being proven guilty first.

The bail industry used the petition process to try and force it to a vote of the people. The law has been put on hold until the vote.

I bring this up here because Hawaii tends to lag California on implementing leftist issues by a few years, so it's possible that if it happens in California, we will see the same effort to decriminalize criminals here.

ETA: https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-...story.html