Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Interesting Encounter
I took a walk this evening around the neighborhood and came across a Japanese White Eye (Small green bird about 3 inches tall with yellow and white undersides and with white feathers around its eyes). He was standing in the middle of the road. I walked over to him and squatted down and said hello. He didn't fly away. I put my hands down to him and he hopped onto the palm of one of my hands. My intention was to carry him over to a fence near the side of the road where he could perch without danger of getting run over.

I didn't restrain him with my hands. He just stood perched on my palm as I walked him to the side of the road. I offered him the fence. He looked up at me then flew off to perch on a twig about 12 feet off the ground.

I continued on my walk.

Andrew

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Imagine the cool story he's telling his friends tonight!

Edited by - malolo on 09/27/2006 18:58:34
Andrew - thank you for sharing that magic. It's a real honor to be trusted like that.

Carrie

"To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater." Bono
http://www.hellophoenix.com/art/dreamhawaii.Cfm
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
What a great moment. I had one with a tiny 1 inch long baby gecko the other day. Was walking along my driveway. It climbed up on my foot and just stood there for a bit. I stayed still.... it eventually scampered off.... not so cool as your moment, but good none the less.

Today I am caring for a baby pig that is not doing well. I imagine it will not survive the next couple days, but right now it is in a dog kennel with warm clean sheets, after having had a nice bubble bath in my tub this morning!

The things we do for animals....

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Andrew,
Mahalo for sharing that special memory, I'm sure it will be with you as long as you live. Magic! Yes it is.
Lee

Andrew,

There's a very good chance that you saved that bird's life. In my limited experience, many birds and other animals will sustain a slightly stunning concussion or less from crossing paths with a car's windshield. They'll end up on the road, gathering their senses and may fly off, unless another car bears down on them.

While birding in Arizona, my wife and I were driving our VW Eurovan along a two lane highway near Organ Pipe Cactus NM. A Wilson's Warbler, not unlike the Mejiro (White-eye) in general appearance, color and size, crossed paths with the upper corner of our slanted windshield. Still retaining our reflexes from our wildlife rescue training, we turned around to go back and see if there was anything we could do. We expected to find a warm carcass on the road. To our surprise, the bird was alive and didn't struggle or fly off when we picked it up. Seeking a warm, dark enclosure, my wife tucked the bird gently into her bra. We stopped at the closed visitors center and placed the bird on a perch in the scrub. We watched it for about 15 min. and it held firm. We returned the next day and could not find the bird, nor any feather remains from predation. While there, a Wilson's Warbler descended through a tree toward us, then flew off. Now there weren't many of this species in the area, and, yes, we like to think that it was the same bird returning to show us that it was okay.

Another occasion, driving through the Santa Cruz Mtns. near our CA home, we came across a badger laying in the roadway. It had obviously been hit by a car. It was motionless, and my wife always moves roadkill off the road out of respect (and for another reason stated below). She moved it to one side, but decided that it was not far enough off the road. So, she picked it up again and started across to the other side when it moved in her grasp! My wife nearly soiled her pants because she was well aware of how powerful badgers are! It turned out that it was momentarily stunned, and had no externally visible injuries. We placed it well-off the road, into the forest and put a blanket over it. We checked on it twice a day (it was along our commute) bringing catfood and water. By the fourth day, it had moved about 10 ft. and it was gone on our second checkin with no signs of predation.

On another late night returning home, we found a Western Screech-Owl in the middle of the road. I've often seen these little owls swooping in front of the car at night along these mountain roads. This one was not able to get away from me as I picked it up with my jacket; they have talons like a hawk and can really rip hands up if you're not careful. We kept it overnight, and, the next day, took it to a friend who rehabbed raptors. She nursed it back to good health and released it in the same spot that we found it.

This is a long way to say that the first hit by a car may not kill an animal, but the second one, while the critter is sitting there dazed, surely will. Good job, Andrew!

In CA, there are other reasons to move roadkill off the roadway. Carrion feeders, like Turkey Vultures, ravens and crows, might be at risk if they feed in the road. Road crews will pickup large carcasses (deer) and take them to a rendering plant. From there they end up in pet food, as do the dead animals from veterinary hospitals. If you know anything about Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE, or BSE in cattle, aka "Mad Cow Disease"Wink, it's a bad idea to feed processed animals to other animals. It's very different if the carcasses are left in the wild to be selectively eaten, or not. I don't think the same kind of cycle exists in Hawaii with highway cleanup or veterinarians and rendering plants (are there any here?)

Les

Edited by - Les C on 09/27/2006 21:41:23
Les:

Your idea of “slight stunning concussions” makes a lot of sense to me. On another occasion I was driving on the Mamalahoa Hwy between Kona and Waimea in fairly busy traffic. There was a wonderfully red Northern Cardinal standing perfectly still on the yellow center line. Cars and trucks were whizzing by it on both sides.

I quickly pulled over and ran out to the middle of the road and picked him up and took him back into my car. He didn't appear to have a single feather out of place.

A few minutes later we arrived home and I took him out of the car with the birdie on my open palm. He flew off toward the woods that were behind the house.

---

By the way, that story you told of the Wilson's Warbler that your wife protected inside of her lingerie - "Imagine the cool story he told his friends that night!"

--

Photo of a Majiro (Japanese White-Eye) eating Lehua blossom nectar

http://www.stanford.edu/~petelat1/whiteye2.jpg

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
This species seems to be very curious and quite unafraid> I was working up at 4000' in Hamakua for several monthes and saw many of these, they are beautiful, cheery and curious. Like nuthatches i often see them upside-down. We had several around out jobsite. Oddly we found several dead over the next few weeks I feared unintentional poisoning. We were remodelling an old house, so lots of dust and chemicals around. It's a miracle i'm not dead. I also wondered if they had succumbed to a disease. I wonder if there is an epidemic occuring w/ this species? Anyone else had strange experiences with this species?

Once when open ocen fishing off Mexico we had a royal tern we had seperated from a sewgull. The two had been connected to each other with some fishline. Everytime we tried to get close to them the seagull would spook and take off... dragging the poor tern behind it. Then thinking that the birds were fighting the other terns and seagulls would attack both. After about twenty turns of this the tern was nearly drowned. Eventually we gaffed the line and threw towels over both birds. The tern was patiently unhooked and the seagull flew off after nearly taking out several eyes.

Our new mascot stood proud in his tuxedo colors and orange headfeathers at the prow of the boat for the rest of the day looking like a captain in Her Majesty's Service. He did waddle about quite a bit as if having taken more than his allotment of rum and he, uh get rid of a lot of saltwater, but we thought he seemed rather well considering. Every few hours he'd look at one of us, waddle over and sqwuak insistently. Undoubtably offering up fishing advice.
After a few hours he flew off.

I think he knew better than to head back into San Diego.

Isn't nature great? I love this island.

Les, This summer the Hamakua Beef Processing plant was in the permit processing stage for a Bio-Deisel rendering plant, so rendering here will go into power. Don't know the current status of the rendering...The other option here is the county dumps.
Aloha, Carey

Andrew,

You've rescued a cardinal, too! Good to know you're out there helping out in this way!

That link that you provided for the Mejiro (Japanese: "mei" = eye + "jiro" = white) goes to Pete LaTourrette's site. He's an acqaintance of mine from the SF Bay Area. He's also a good friend of Jack Jeffrey, the best and most prominent photographer of native Hawaiian birds who lives on the Island. Jack's great photos can be purchased at his wife's shop, the Grove Gallery in Hilo. His photos appear in many books containing Hawaiian bird photos, like at the Nat'l Park's visitor center.

Hazen, I haven't heard anything in my "birding circles" about Mejiros experiencing any problems. They are one of the most successful introduced bird species in the Islands. They were introduced to the BI in 1937 (to O'ahu in 1929). I've seen them from sea level up to 5,000 ft. They supposedly occupy habitat up to treeline. Unlike many of the native species that are fairly specialized in the way and places they feed, Mejiro are very versatile foragers. They'll hang upside down like chickadees, picking at seeds or bugs, they'll sip nectar from flowers, and they'll cling to tree trunks, picking for bugs. Your thought about the construction dust and materials affecting them makes the most sense.

That's a great story about the tern and the gull. And it's nice that your group took the time and made the effort to separate them.

Helping out one bird here or there, may not make a significant difference in a species' population but it's just good karma, juju, mana.

Les