Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID19 Emergency Proclamation
Again, containment is over...

Yes, the battle for containment was lost the moment the first lie was uttered.. but hopefully we will have better luck with a vaccine. If so, maybe a few months more of a containment stance could benefit a greater number of us..

I may have posted this before, but considering how it doesn't seem to have gotten any notice by the mainstream media maybe it is worth a repost..

From: https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Isr...ine-619101

Israeli scientists: 'In a few weeks, we will have coronavirus vaccine'

Israeli scientists are on the cusp of developing the first vaccine against the novel coronavirus, according to Science and Technology Minister Ofir Akunis. If all goes as planned, the vaccine could be ready within a few weeks and available in 90 days, according to a release.

“Congratulations to MIGAL [The Galilee Research Institute] on this exciting breakthrough,” Akunis said. “I am confident there will be further rapid progress, enabling us to provide a needed response to the grave global COVID-19 threat,” Akunis said, referring to the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

For the past four years, a team of MIGAL scientists has been developing a vaccine against infectious bronchitis virus (IBV), which causes a bronchial disease affecting poultry. The effectiveness of the vaccine has been proven in preclinical trials carried out at the Veterinary Institute.

MIGAL is located in the Galilee.

“Our basic concept was to develop the technology and not specifically a vaccine for this kind or that kind of virus,” said Dr. Chen Katz, MIGAL’s biotechnology group leader. “The scientific framework for the vaccine is based on a new protein expression vector, which forms and secretes a chimeric soluble protein that delivers the viral antigen into mucosal tissues by self-activated endocytosis, causing the body to form antibodies against the virus.”

MIGAL laboratory (Photo Credit: Lior Journo)MIGAL laboratory (Photo Credit: Lior Journo)

Endocytosis is a cellular process in which substances are brought into a cell by surrounding the material with cell membrane, forming a vesicle containing the ingested material.

In preclinical trials, the team demonstrated that the oral vaccination induces high levels of specific anti-IBV antibodies, Katz said.

“Let’s call it pure luck,” he said. “We decided to choose coronavirus as a model for our system just as a proof of concept for our technology.”

But after scientists sequenced the DNA of the novel coronavirus causing the current worldwide outbreak, the MIGAL researchers examined it and found that the poultry coronavirus has high genetic similarity to the human one, and that it uses the same infection mechanism, which increases the likelihood of achieving an effective human vaccine in a very short period of time, Katz said.
For comparison, there is at least one vaccine already being tested in animals in the US and a few other candidates on deck. Making a vaccine isn't the time consuming part - it's the testing and approval process which Israel is fast-tracking to take just a few months, while the US currently is looking at a multi-step, year-long process.

However, there are risks with rushing - many remember the 450 people with neurological damage attributed to the 1976 flu vaccine fiasco.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-new...180961994/

I doubt King Kim's Proclamation can make the process any quicker or better. (I'm trying, I really am Wink However we are now back under a HRS-127A 60 day Emergency so Civil Defense is running the show - make sure to ask them nicely every day if it's safe for you to go home.
Israel calls it pure luck they promise a vaccine soon. Anyone else find that interesting in the grand scheme of it all?
Ditch the tinfoil, if you are wearing a red hat it will not affect you.
quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

Anyone else find that interesting in the grand scheme of it all?
Only that the Israelis have done wonders since their return to Palestine. The Jewish people's renaissance, to me, holds the promise of what the Hawaiian's future could be. Not, of course, in terms of strife with neighbors, but more the incredible explosions of art and technology the Jewish people, of Israel, have experienced over the last 100 years.
Only that the Israelis have done wonders since their return to Palestine. The Jewish people's renaissance, to me, holds the promise of what the Hawaiian's future could be.

Yes!
If only we could apply modern technology and science to the problems we face in Hawaii, through a network of immigrants from all around the world who bring their education and skills here for a brighter future. People, research facilities, and businesses which would provide the islands with more job opportunities than the one trick pony tourist trade.

I wonder why that isn’t happening?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves