Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Silver Lining in the COVID-19 Outbreak
Yes, I know the COVID-19 flu is bad.
Yes, there are sick people and some die.

But, hear me out. There is a so far small but unintended consequence in our reaction and response to the crisis. Fossil fuel consumption is down. CO2 output has dropped. Travel, especially air travel has declined. Consumption of products with disposable income is down. We're more focused on the essential, and on items necessary in our daily lives.

Here's one example of how humans have reduced pollution in the last month, NO2 output as measured by a NASA satellite (sorry, Pahoa NO2 output map N/A):
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51691967

The COVID-19 crisis has finally caused humanity to reduce it's carbon footprint. With the fear of imminent death we have unwittingly addressed the fear of an indefinite and distant death. My question is, how many of you have lowered your spending, your driving, your purchase of products other than TP and hand sanitizer?

It's too soon for CO2 measurements at the Mauna Loa Observatory to reflect the change, but it will be interesting to see if that happens. Most likely it will depend on the duration of COVID-19 affects around the world.

I think for most of us in Puna, we have a rural, fairly low impact lifestyle to begin with, so changes may be small. If you have adjusted your lifestyle, do you think you'll continue after COVID-19 has run it's course? Will it depend on whether or not reduced pollution measurements show a positive effect across the planet?

Over the last month I've expanded my garden. I've cut back on the imported vegetables I bought in the past, and replaced them in my diet with what grows best during this cool wet season; red kale, tatsoi, chard, basil, turnips, green onions...
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Yes, I know the COVID-19 flu is bad.
Yes, there are sick people and some die.

But, hear me out. There is a so far small but unintended consequence in our reaction and response to the crisis. Fossil fuel consumption is down. CO2 output has dropped. Travel, especially air travel has declined. Consumption of products with disposable income is down. We're more focused on the essential, and on items necessary in our daily lives.

Here's one example of how humans have reduced pollution in the last month, NO2 output as measured by a NASA satellite (sorry, Pahoa NO2 output map N/A):
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51691967

The COVID-19 crisis has finally caused humanity to reduce it's carbon footprint. With the fear of imminent death we have unwittingly addressed the fear of an indefinite and distant death. My question is, how many of you have lowered your spending, your driving, your purchase of products other than TP and hand sanitizer?

It's too soon for CO2 measurements at the Mauna Loa Observatory to reflect the change, but it will be interesting to see if that happens. Most likely it will depend on the duration of COVID-19 affects around the world.

I think for most of us in Puna, we have a rural, fairly low impact lifestyle to begin with, so changes may be small. If you have adjusted your lifestyle, do you think you'll continue after COVID-19 has run it's course? Will it depend on whether or not reduced pollution measurements show a positive effect across the planet?

Over the last month I've expanded my garden. I've cut back on the imported vegetables I bought in the past, and replaced them in my diet with what grows best during this cool wet season; red kale, tatsoi, chard, basil, turnips, green onions...

You might want to reconsider where you source your news when a downward economic spiral and millions of people getting sick and thousands dying is measured by the "silver lining" of climate-change conspiracists who have been wrong for 5 decades.

Terracore, he, HOPTE does have a good point and it is healthy to look for the positive in all aspects of life. That said, regarding world pollution, have you been to Asia lately? China perhaps? What a frikken nightmare of air pollution, in that it also blankets all of SE Asia causing an alarmingly increasing rate of fatal respiratory illnesses in the surrounding countries. Last time I was there a couple of years ago we couldn't land in Beijing due to zero visibility. That's right, pilot can't see a thing to land the plane due 100% to air pollution. And this could be a reason for the high mortality rate in China including younger people. If a patient can't get a good deep breath it's gonna be hard to fight off this coronavirus.
quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

Terracore, he, HOPTE does have a good point and it is healthy to look for the positive in all aspects of life. That said, regarding world pollution, have you been to Asia lately? China perhaps? What a frikken nightmare of air pollution, in that it also blankets all of SE Asia causing an alarmingly increasing rate of fatal respiratory illnesses in the surrounding countries. Last time I was there a couple of years ago we couldn't land in Beijing due to zero visibility. That's right, pilot can't see a thing to land the plane due 100% to air pollution. And this could be a reason for the high mortality rate in China including younger people. If a patient can't get a good deep breath it's gonna be hard to fight off this coronavirus.

You might want to reconsider where you source your news when a downward economic spiral and millions of people getting sick and thousands dying is measured by the "silver lining" of climate-change conspiracists who have been wrong for 5 decades.

(I sound like a broken record)
downward economic spiral and millions of people getting sick and thousands dying

You're both wrong: a crashing economy and mass die-off is the "silver lining".

Only problem is ... it won't be nearly enough.
terracore - when you consider how wrong you are about climate science you might want to reconsider where you source your news
how wrong you are about climate science

Wake up. Climate change is real, and it's happening right now. Experts may disagree about how much and how bad and how soon, but that's just "fiddling while Rome burns".
Terracore, HOPTE wrote about pollution, not climate change and that's what I was responding to. Besides we honestly don't know how severe the consequences of COVID-19 will be. Maybe it won't be as terrible as you project. I told a friend a couple of days ago that the silver lining might be if the old and infirm are the most vulnerable, maybe those who are senile and in horrible pain but not able to properly communicate the pain will be the ones to passover from COVID-19.

What happened in Wuhan was a catastrophic quarantine nightmare. I think Xi should be held accountable in an international court for the mass murders of his own people.
I fail to see how a few months of reduced factory pollution is worth living through an era where the use of mass graves is a real possibility. But it will be a wonderful mass grave with just the right amount of lime, trust me we can do it the best. it will be a winning grave with a black marble wall and all the names engraved on it. we can put benches near where survivors can come visit the many faceless names.
Epitaph that reads, Here lie the poor souls from the covid pandemic. Their sacrifice will not be forgotten. Not too big but easily readable because no pollution in the air.
Sounds like a silver lining for sure.
I think there's a miscommunication here as to the significance some experience looking for a silver lining in life's difficulties. For me it's a coping mechanism, not a justification for the suffering of even a single person. Simply a thought process to keep oneself emotionally afloat. Let's not read any more into it that simply is not there.