Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Silver Lining in the COVID-19 Outbreak
a wonderful mass grave

kander,
I suggested a future in which we are directly affected by COVID-19, but in a limited manner. Enough of a change takes place in the world, that we question our lifestyle of steady and thoughtless consumption. Where we now find it reasonable to burn gasoline for a drive to Malama Market or Island Naturals because we have a hankering for a specific flavor gratification, rather than eat something already in our full fridge. Perhaps we start to recognize that’s wasteful and unnecessary.

You’re talking about a Black Death style plague and mass graves.
You find what I wrote upsetting and distasteful?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"I think there's a miscommunication here as to the significance some experience looking for a silver lining in life's difficulties. For me it's a coping mechanism, not a justification for the suffering of even a single person. Simply a thought process to keep oneself emotionally afloat. Let's not read any more into it that simply is not there."

Completely agree. For me, that coping mechanism is humor. That might be a cultural thing or not, I don't really know, but Eric Idle had the same idea:

https://youtu.be/JrdEMERq8MA
we question our lifestyle of steady and thoughtless consumption

This.

Thank you, HOTPE.
Its not thoughtless consumption, its by design. A lot of thought has gone into training people to consume, consume more and when they dont have enough money just put it on their credit card. Sometimes they will set up camp waiting for the latest worthless doohickey to buy hoping to fill an empty gap in their lives.
Items purchased are flimsy poorly made and designed to fail in a few years
very little of it is recycled and what cant is toxic to the environment. People spray industrial pipe cleanser on the food and tell them its good for them. Some actually believe it.
People are told the worlds going to end in 12 years and although they might believe they are consuming mindlessly still dont see the profits to be made by a few individuals by taxing their carbon use, something which will never be used to fix the environment but stolen and spent someplace else benefiting a shirttail relative on a lucrative project. Not unlike what they did with social security funds, you know before they told people that the system they paid into for years was really an entitlement.

Oh I could go on and on, but I digress. Not really seeing much consuming going down here. last time I was in the big smoke of Hilo was still looking pretty normal.
oh yea, im fun at parties. lol
A lot of thought has gone into training people to consume, consume more... Sometimes they will set up camp waiting for the latest worthless doohickey

Exactly my point.
The sellers may be manipulative, but the buyers consume with abandon.
We are now entering a period of history when we might think twice about walking into a store filled with coughing, sneezing people, boarding a plane, or taking a cruise. Will we see this as an opportunity to reassess our choices?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"Will we see this as an opportunity to reassess our choices?"

Is this a rhetorical question? Wink

If not, I think you need to define who "we" is.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

[i] Will we see this as an opportunity to reassess our choices?

no, People have become accustom to instantaneous dopamine hit from immediate gratification.

Scarily, kander doesn't seem to be referring to the Black Plague but the 1918 Spanish Flu, when the U.S. and many other countries had to resort to mass graves.
https://www.phillyvoice.com/100-years-ag...an-parade/

There are a lot of similarities between the COVID-19 and Spanish flu pandemics so it's an instructive piece of history to consider.

As for silver linings, well um, social security and pensions will be better positioned as well as there being new openings in upper management?
When the 1000-meter telescope is proposed for Mauna Kea in 2080 it seems they are going to have a tough time with the EIS and grave sites...