Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residential Evictions
It would be great if all the Counties would back this measure, realizing this is also a hardship for homeowners! Too many people living from paycheck to paycheck are now in dire straits with loss of jobs, unless a solution is found the homeless crisis will only get worse.
https://bigislandnow.com/2020/04/08/coun...evictions/
While I agree with hikatz's sentiment, it has been virtually impossible to evict anyone on the Big Island for some time now. It's really a moot point here, but elsewhere there is merit in the concept.
Last I knew sheriffs on the big island won’t do evictions so they have to fly someone in from Maui
Deputies don't do evictions on work time, but will do so on their time, if you have the paperwork from a judge.

Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
What a moronic idea. What if the landlord has a house payment, insurance, repairs etc,, to cover? This type of legislation is why there will be fewer rentals available on the BI.
quote:
Originally posted by allensylves

Deputies don't do evictions on work time, but will do so on their time, if you have the paperwork from a judge.

Allen
Finally in HPP

https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2017/10/...o-the-job/

"Between flight expenses, off-duty pay or other expenses relative to evictions, such as movers and locksmiths, she said, the cost for their service runs up to $10,000 to $12,000."

ETA: So figure to get to an eviction one has probably lost $6k in unpaid rent, $12k to pay for the eviction, and one landlord I know had to pay $22k in repairs to replace flooring (not just the top layer they had to rip everything out to the joists) because they filled the unit with dogs that weren't allowed on the lease but were allowed to urinate on the floor 24/7, it has become a situation where the landlord practically has to pay the tenant to live there.

No thanks.

But they blame "vacation rentals" for the lack of long term rentals.
What if the landlord has a house payment

Many mortgage lenders are allowing their customers to defer payments to a later date. The problems will arise though, if the renters are truly deadbeats & not just temporarily out of work. Because eventually everyone is expected to pay, renters and homeowners with a mortgage.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Nope I'd rather keep a vacation rental empty than than deal with our ridiculous legislation.
Back in the early '70s, I rented my house for a little over a year.
A very sobering experience.
Everything I've seen since then confirms my decision to never rent housing out again.
Hawaii has only proven it to be even more necessary.

Only the tenant gets protection by law, never the property owner landlord.
The property owner is treated like a bad guy.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, nothing left.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.