Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelves at Costco, Target, Walmart, etc. lately?
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

Thanks all for the reports. Anyone been to Costco?

I work for an a business considered “essential” and was tasked on a trip to the Kona side this past Monday. I always hit Costco after these work trips.

I asked the usual parties I buy stuff for to give me their lists by Sunday so I could combine everything into one list taking into account my usual path through the store — I wanted to get in and out.

I was done early and got there by 11:30 ish (I’ve been told early afternoon is best). The first thing I noticed was the ample parking spaces and though I thought I wouldn’t bother getting gas, there were no lines and I pulled right up to one of the pumps. The price Monday for 87 octane was $2.49 per gallon.

I was expecting to wait in line and there was one. Costco employees were spraying down the cart handles at the beginning of the line and asking the customers to take a cart and head for the queue — I suppose it helps with the social distancing. It took a little over a half an hour to go from the back of the line to enter the store; a good portion spent in the sun (I got a slight sunburn). Near the front of the store there was a whiteboard listing the items that were out of stock, rubbing alcohol and similar.

Once in the store, it was about as pleasant a Costco shopping experience as I’ve had. Maybe because of the shoppers-in-store limit or the fact that most everything on my list was available. There were limits on some products — including things like canned tuna and ziplock bags. There was plenty of Kirkland toilet paper and paper towels on my visit and yes, coffee creamer too. Best of all no wait at the checkout.

Short version: less busy than expected, line to get in a bit of a pain, pleasantly well stocked, no wait at checkout. Good overall experience.
You became barbarians when you tossed over all that tea in Boston Harbor. Wink

DRINK TEA!
Social Distancing enforcement aid: Don’t shower or bathe. Best effect starts at about a week in.
Three-way win:
Saves on soap,
Saves on water,
May even save your life.

Don’t ask about the plan that saves toilet paper.....

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Was at Costco Wednesday. Got there at 8:55. Walked right in. No wait at all. They were going to shut the door at 9 to prepare for the 10 AM opening. There were no more than 15 people shopping when we were there. Spent about an hour getting our small list in the cart. They had everything we needed except pasta. Plenty of TP and PT. Some things had a limit like Spam and tiny sausages. There were five checkouts with no one in line when we checked out. We got a parking space in the shade right by the front entrance. All you could get at the food court was dogs and pizza. Have been a member for 20 years. This was absolutely the easiest trip ever. Gas was 2.49. A lot of masks but our checker didn’t have one. Have enough for at least another 6 weeks.
The latest run on hoarding is hair coloring and hair shavers. This is by people running around with their head's on fire !!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/11/business/...index.html
macuu222 - went to Foodland to find the yeast (nothing).....

Apparently there is a wide spread yeast shortage in the stores throughout the US, but twitter has yeast geneticists "vikings" on the case. Turns out yeast is all around and free for the taking!

https://twitter.com/shoelaces3/status/12...9041974272
I think the toilet paper shortage is pretty much over. I’ve seen it everywhere. Now that people have gotten used to their own cooking, maybe they don’t need as much!
So far I'm comfortable shopping in most stores with the exception of Walmart where I stopped by yesterday, waited in the outdoor line which wasn't too bad, to see if I could get my glasses fixed. The glasses store at the entrance is closed. Then I thought I'd pick up a few essentials but turned around quickly. Crowded and no perceivable air flow. Lots of customers who shout instead of talk and lots of socializing.
I buy my glasses here. Prices start at $6.95 for frames and lenses. With a internet search I usually find a code for free shipping or 15% off or whatever. They are cheap enough that if a pair need any type of repair I can just toss them.

https://www.zennioptical.com/
Thanks terracore!