Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
storm prep
We were off the island when Iselle hit and I'm wondering about specific prep advice.  Looks right now like winds 60-80 mph.  Some specific questions:

Is this strong enough to take out windows?
Empty shelves?
Should windows be taped?  Plywood?
Will wind affect all sides of the house or mainly windward side?
Should rain-protected doors be left open or closed?

Any other advice learned from past experience would be very helpful.  Thanks.
Certainty will be the death of us.
The thing with Iselle was it was very slow moving which gave use a lot of rain. This seems to be moving at a must faster pace which may help areas that flood.  We just have storm windows which I believe is what most people have in their homes around here and it did just fine with Iselle so should be fine with this one.  The trees were the problem last time. They were down all over HPP subdivision (especially the albezzia trees). That caused massive power outages...some lasting weeks. A good thing about this hurricane/storm is if it hits with winds under 74MPH its a storm and any wind damage is covered under your homeowners policy.  I have Allstate and 2 days after the storm they were out in force here writing checks.

It's more likely if something like a branch gets blown into the window, less likely from 70 mph wind alone.

Depends on how much loose debris you might have blowing around in your yard and neighborhood.

All sides if it's a hurricane.  The storm spins counterclockwise so depending on where you are in the path, which side of the eye you're on, the wind can blow in different directions at the beginning, middle and end of the storm as it passes over you.

Closed. It reduces upward pressure on your roof.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Thanks for the info. A couple other bits of useful info I picked up from friends:
Get a litter box and litter to keep the cats inside
Put panty hose over the spout where water enters the catchment to catch debris before it goes into the tank.

One more question: Might the storm blow away the mosquitos for a little while? How long?
Certainty will be the death of us.
We did our usual, "we're always prepared for any storm but these are the things we have to do anyway" today. Topped off propane and gas tanks, did a dump run, etc.

There were short lines at the gas and propane stops. I was at Walmart yesterday and the water section was nearly cleared out but I don't know if that was from storm buying because sometimes that happens on a normal day. They had plenty of gas cans for sale.

I think most people who live in storm prone areas have a general idea on how to prepare for the storms, even if they choose not too. One of the "little things" that first-timers often overlook is before the storm hits, to do all the laundry and other things that require electricity (vacuuming, whatever) so you're not stuck with a pile of dirty clothes and looking at having to run a generator to clean them.

The day before Iselle, all the generators on the East side were sold out. I drove to Costco and they had what appeared to be hundreds of them. People on the West side seem to think they are immune to the storms so don't bother preparing for them.
I agree with terracore's advice about getting laundry done before the storm - your water tank will easily refill by the end of the storm. I would also recommend to get a few extra small bills in cash just in case the power is out for a couple days. I try to get some $1s, and $5s, so going to the farmers' market or veggie stands on the highway is easier - hard for them to break a $20 after the first day. Also, if you rely on an electric can opener, do get a manual. I checked mine, not having used it since the last storm, and it had rusted beyond use - only in Puna !
(07-22-2020, 09:13 PM)kalianna Wrote: We were off the island when Iselle hit and I'm wondering about specific prep advice.  Looks right now like winds 60-80 mph.  Some specific questions:

Empty shelves?

Any other advice learned from past experience would be very helpful.  Thanks.

It depends on where you live and your circumstances.  Iselle hit the big island Kapoho corner hard and made a sort of wind tunnel up the pohoiki-Pahoa road.  Up at leilani, we got heavy wind+rain, but just down the road, below, everything was Practically destroyed with this wind tunnel effect.  Watch the weather Forecast/radar closely.  Know where it will strike.

So, leilani got lucky and had only 5 days++ with no electricity. 

A car runs on gas and can charge small devices for a long time, if needed.  Make sure you have car chargers working.  Pack a to go bag and put it in the car with enough clothes and *meds*, raincoat, towels for going to an emergency shelter...  Don’t forget pet needs, pet food also, if pets are going with you.  Park the car facing outward bound and away from everything the night before storm arrival. 

Make sure to have plenty of ready to eat food:  canned, dry, ripening fruit, on hand as you won’t have power to heat anything for 5 or more days.  Don’t forget dry milk, instant tea, etc.

Also, extra batteries, flashlights, and a kerosene lamp or two with extra fuel.  Also, make sure that you can carry water from your storage to the toilet to flush it.  (You might need a wheelbarrow for the bucket.)

And lots of stuff to entertain yourself with books, crafts, etc.

Hawaii/Hawaiians manage these kinds of emergencies really well, but it just takes awhile.  You have to Be prepared to manage on your own for awhile.

Also, consider not riding it out:  if you are compromised in any way, consider going to the other side of the island (world?) till it’s over.  Your life and your sanity is worth more than your stuff. 

Iselle was my 3d hurricane.

All the best,

Ccat
With no tourists, there should be plenty of hotel space on the west side as well.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Started planning for the next disaster right after lava buried our home in Kapoho.
Lucky I was insured and because my property had appreciated I was able to buy two places.
One a condo at Carlsmith Beach Park.
The second a small home in HPP about 4 blocks from the ocean.

2 different volcanoes and in lava zone 3.
My wife is headed to the condo to ride this out. Better chance power will be out a shorter time.