Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cinder question
I remember hitchhiking in Florida some thirty years ago. As I stood by the roadside a few hours waiting for a ride to come by I noticed what appeared to be a pitcher's mound off the side of the road. As I went to investigate, I plunged my one leg into the mound. Like a baseball mound, I half expected it to be hard too! But to my surprise my foot sunk into the mound fast. Even faster was the burning pain that followed! As I pulled my leg from the mound, I noticed the pest for the first time! What year did these little buggars start showing up on the Big Island?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
I remember hitchhiking in Florida some thirty years ago. As I stood by the roadside a few hours waiting for a ride to come by I noticed what appeared to be a pitcher's mound off the side of the road. As I went to investigate, I plunged my one leg into the mound. Like a baseball mound, I half expected it to be hard too! But to my surprise my foot sunk into the mound fast. Even faster was the burning pain that followed! As I pulled my leg from the mound, I noticed the pest for the first time! What year did these little buggars start showing up on the Big Island?

-----------

Apparently they showed up in HPP in 1999. Here's an article:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/display?id=127815

Aloha,
Jody

What is the best way to get rid of them? I came across some when I was moving a pile of lumber.

By the way... Thanks to everyone who posted about the cinders!

Royall

What goes around comes around!

if you are planning on growing around the area you are putting cinder, i've talked to a few growers and they advise using a 50/50 mix of cinder and soil mix, if you are planning on using cinder for driveways, walkways and barrier zones, i've used the red cinder in the larger sizes that are being delivered 1-3 inches or more since the mixes are in various ranges....a barrier cover for walkways is ideal even with a 4 inch cinder cover.

PunaRock used to have a mixutre called S4C (4 soils to one cinder)

-Cat

Catherine Dumond
Blue Water Project Management
808 217-7578
http://bluewaterpm.125mb.com/index.html
"We help make building your dream home a reality"
Isn't there a cinder size/type that is used for termite protection, too large for them to move yet small enough that they can't crawl through/around?? Seems like it was mentioned Eons ago but I can't find it again. One is suppose to use under and around buildings, fences, structures etc.

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

Beachboy, I was quoted $205.00 a 30 yard load for the red cinder and $220.00 for the black cinder. That is from Bryson in Pahoa.

HADave, I think what you are thinking about is the crushed basalt rock. It was, I believe, developed at U of H.

To all, thanks for your thoughts. I’m still confused but hey, what’s new! I’ll make the decision today so it can be delivered tomorrow for spreading on Wednesday.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

how much(truck loads & cost) cinder would be required to put around a 1200 ft home?

-----------

A gardener friend of mine told me that plants do not like the red cinders, so this would be fine for driveways, but black is better for yards, gardens. Angela