Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harry Kim Opts out of pre-travel test program
So the Big Island will continue it's 14 day quarantine. I wonder if that will effect the Hilo- Los Angeles United flight that was going to start back up? It will probably mess up all the mainland flights out of Kona that were about to start up again.  The major question I have is ....Will Kauai and Maui follow?

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/10/0...g-program/
This is what Harry gave as his reasoning in the article:

“All of us want to open up our economy, (but) … I made a decision that the risk factor in regards to doing this at this time is not an acceptable risk as far as endangering Hawaii’s people,” Kim said, adding that he is trying to come up with a plan to address issues involving reopening tourism.

What he didn't mention is the fact that the state has a very bad track record managing complicated programs like the one they are about to launch.  Even lame duck Harry couldn't bring himself to address the 800 pound gorilla in every room where such matters are discussed, i.e., the state's utter lack of competence to get the job done.
the state's utter lack of competence to get the job done.

“The first  step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one.”
I suppose better late than never, but it’s too bad Harry didn’t recognize the relevance of the aphorism (above) on day one of his first term.
It’s kind of a last minute decision isn’t it? Nine days to go. There were tourism related businesses gearing up to start back up NEXT WEEK.

There will be more people going out of business and laying off employees, some just rehired. I hear the food bank on Hawaii Island is serving 80,000 people per month! How many more will be needing help? 

It’s a good time to donate to the food bank if you’re able.

https://www.hawaiifoodbasket.org/
Nothing like varying per-island tourist requirements to damage the brand.

As an extra added bonus, Kim gets to intentionally crash the economy just in time for the next Mayor.

Ige could still override but I think we all know that's not going to happen.

Good times.
When I was planning my return from the mainland back in September, the start up date was Oct1. I knew that the state would be unlikely to meet that so I made a reservation for Oct 15.
I didn't want to be Ohio past the 15th.
Then there was no info from the state about how this testing would work and talking to CVS they didn't have a clue either.
The flight was filling up although Delta limits capacity to 60%.
Then I looked at the Oct1 flight and found I could fly 1st class from PIT to MSP to LAX to KOA and it was cheaper than the comfort plus ticket I had already bought.
Changed tickets and I only have 11 more days of quarantine.
I will keep an eye on the load on that Oct 15 flight. Right now it shows 2 available seats Bet that changes.
Look for United to push back the start of LAX-ITO also.
"As an extra added bonus, Kim gets to intentionally crash the economy just in time for the next Mayor." - kalakoa

Always remember that the only economy that really matters to Harry Kim is the bloated and generally ineffective county government. FWIW, I looked up the Hawaii County unemployment rate, and the latest figures I could find were for August when the county had 11.8% unemployed vs. the state average of 12.5%. Maybe Harry thinks that's OK?

My own opinion is that the state has waffled so many times on reopening tourism that a much smaller number than they project will bother to book trips knowing that everything could change or that some local restrictions could pop up. If one looks at the subject of Hawaii on travel and tourism blogs and websites, the wavering nature of Ige's "planning" is frequently mentioned. A lot of them say "don't go" or "go somewhere they really want you."
"Maybe Harry thinks that's OK?"

Kim simply doesn't care. He already got his.
and the latest figures I could find were for August when the county had 11.8% unemployed vs. the state average of 12.5%.

Don’t forget, roughly 70% of East Hawaii’s jobs are county, state, and federal government positions.  So not as rosy as 11.8% would seem for the 30% in the private sector.
Not cool. For how long have you been working on a plan, Harry? Let's hear about it. You just rashly discarded an existing plan, apparently based entirely on your own perception of the risks involved. The only way to find out how a pretesting program works is to give it a try. If I were in charge of any of the carriers flying into Kona or Hilo you'd be banned from flying for a period of time, due to undermining my business at the 11th hour.

Risk free will not exist, not now and possibly not ever. I wouldn't doubt that masks and distancing by themselves would be adequate for keeping spread low. The amount of community spread in much of the mainland isn't dramatically higher than in Hawaii, so what's the difference?