Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renewing drivers license?
Anyone renewed recently?
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I renewed mine two years ago. Don't know if that's recent enough for you. Why are you asking?
.TomKI renewed mine two years ago. Don't know if that's recent enough for you. Why are you asking?

One would assume that he is asking because the facilities have been either closed for months or barely open recently, with renewals by appointment only.
According to the county's website, all renewals are by appointment only. Here's a page of detailed instructions which also includes a link to set up an appointment:

https://vehicleregistrationlicensing.as.me/schedule.php

Hope this helps and that it works out for you, and be aware that if you haven't already done so, you will be expected to meet the Real ID requirements which are listed on the same page.
I renewed my license at the Pahoa office in early October.  I made my appointment in early September and had several days and time slots to choose from.  There is a table setup outside of the office where you will need to check in.  They will review your documents at that time and also provide you a renewal form that you must complete.  You will then have to stand in a short line and they will direct you into the office when they are ready for you.  Seemed organized and I didn't have to wait too long.  If you can complete your renewal form in advance, which was on their website, you can save some time.  They were turning away people that did not have appointments.  All in all a rather painless experience.
the Real ID requirements which are listed on the same page.

I would suggest printing out the Real ID requirements and take the copy with you, along with your necessary documents.  The last time I renewed, the clerk in Pahoa said I was lacking some info (at that time some of the individual requirements could be met with different types of documents, but she said no to one I had which was listed as acceptable on the DMV website, and she wouldn't check their webpage to confirm or deny) - - I drove to Hilo, and had no problem.
Mine is good until 11\1\21. My wife's however, expires on 11/29/20. And, now she is supposed to fly to Oahu on 12/1 for an MRI scan. If she can't get her new license by then, she'll have to cancel the scan. Tomorrow, she will dedicate to getting this done. She was checking online the other day, and it showed no appointments until January.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
@birdmove: Does your wife have a passport? That is often used in lieu of a driver's license for air travel. You might check the TSA website for any other alternative forms of ID accepted.
Birdmove: 
From the TSA  website:

If your driver's license or state-issued ID expired on or after March 1, 2020, and you are unable to renew at your state driver’s license agency, you may still use it as acceptable identification at the checkpoint. TSA will accept expired driver’s licenses or state-issued ID a year after expiration.  DHS has extended the REAL ID enforcement deadline to October 1, 2021.Learn more about REAL ID on TSA’s REAL ID webpage.

https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus
TSA accepts passport (book or card). Also TWIC.

I actually keep my passport current just because it makes the DMV so much easier.