Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renewing drivers license?
Well, that's good news for sure. I recently got a hernia. Had an ultrasound done was at Kiser in Hilo, and drive to Kona on 12/11 to meet with the surgeon. No idea when the surgery will be yet, but they will want both myself, and my wife to fly to Oahu for that surgery.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
What if you already have a “real id” (gold star) license and need to renew that? Do you have to bring in all the documents again?
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
I was one of the unlucky ones that got a new license without the star. Originally Hawaii didn't want a star and the Feds let them then changed their minds.
I had to provide it all again.
(11-16-2020, 01:17 AM)Obie Wrote: I was one of the unlucky ones that got a new license without the star. Originally Hawaii didn't want a star and the Feds let them then changed their minds.
I had to provide it all again.

I got one of those too.  Jumped over all the hurdles just to later be told it didn't count.

Same thing happened to a lot of people on Oahu, but they set up a clever system where one could pay $5.00 online and they would send the gold star version without having to start over from the beginning again.  Not the same deal here, we  have to start over from scratch and do BS like finding utility bills addressed to a PO street address in neighborhoods where the PO doesn't deliver to street addresses.  OH well, what are the bureaucrats supposed to do, give us the painless $5.00 Oahu option?
You're not required to have a gold star license unless you want to use it as ID for "Federal purposes". Get a regular license and use a passport for flights.
I don't have a passport, and have no intention of travelling to another country.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Not sure, but I bet you will need either a passport or gold star even to travel interisland. All airspace is Federal.
You will soon need one or the other to board an airplane.
It was extended until next October:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/10/01/12-m...t-deadline
one of the unlucky ones that got a new license without the star

This was kind of my point. If you need ID for Federal purposes, best to get it from the Feds, because the State has already proven its lack of competence. Ability to leave the country has become something of a secondary reason to have a passport.