Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renewing drivers license?
(11-18-2020, 06:55 PM)kalakoa Wrote: Hawaii has been providing real ID driver licenses for over two years.

Licenses are good for 8 years, and Hawaii was issuing "meets-REAL-documentation-requirement-but-has-no-star" licenses for a while (I have one of these). Really irresponsible considering the whole "need the star to leave the island" thing.

Eight years ago there was no need for the star, that's why they issued licenses without one. There is a need now and it's been known for at least two years. Not being able to predict the future eight years ago is not being irresponsible.
“Not being able to predict the future eight years ago is not being irresponsible.”

No, it’s how one reacts to it when it gets here that’s telling.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Eight years ago there was no need for the star, that's why they issued licenses without one.

REAL ID became law in 2005. Hawaii was certified compliant in 2013.

No, it’s how one reacts to it when it gets here that’s telling.

Again: Given the need for REAL ID to travel within the State, Hawaii government's failure to meet the needs of its citizens is irresponsible and negligent. What else is new? Living here means "you're on your own".
"REAL ID became law in 2005. Hawaii was certified compliant in 2013."

DHS didn't require the gold star until 2018.

"HONOLULU – Effective January 16, 2018, REAL ID compliant Hawaii driver’s licenses or State identification cards will be issued with a “star in a gold circle” marking."
http://www.hawaiifreepress.com/ArticlesM...hange.aspx

So it wasn't Hawaii government's failure.
I got my drivers license in the mail yesterday and it came with a gold star. It was traded in from Canada so I was required to have a passport to get it. My wife sent her passport in for renewal in January. 5 weeks later they close the passport office and she is out of luck getting a HI license without the passport. Her license expired in May, DMV said no without a passport, nothing else will do, and when the passport came back they refused to recognize the drivers license extension BC had sent her and had to take a new test, written and road.
(11-19-2020, 09:49 PM)Obie Wrote: "REAL ID became law in 2005. Hawaii was certified compliant in 2013."

So does that mean that the compliant licenses issued between 2013 and 2018 will be renewed with the gold star without having to go through the whole bothersome process all over again?

Citation please.

renewed with the gold star without having to go through the whole bothersome process all over again?

I believe it's "all documentation every time". I'm thinking about renewing as a non-star "limited purpose" license to keep things interesting.
Can an American be denied interstate travel? In the past I pressed the issue and they let me fly with extra security screening, but that was before the Real ID act...
(11-20-2020, 01:12 AM)kalakoa Wrote: DHS didn't require the gold star until 2018.

Citation please.

renewed with the gold star without having to go through the whole bothersome process all over again?

I believe it's "all documentation every time". I'm thinking about renewing as a non-star "limited purpose" license to keep things interesting.

Fine, you do that, I'm sure it will give you a lot to complain about as usual. The same way you whined you haven't been able to get a job at the observatories because you never applied for a position. And Obie gave you a citation - his link included this:

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom/lat...edentials/

I don't know what drives you kalakoa, but you sure feel entitled.
If by "entitled" you mean "expects competence" then yes, and COVID is no excuse.

For what it's worth, I have applied to the observatories, multiple times, they send back postcards and hire someone "better suited". Fine, but the lack of interview is a fail on their part, explanation of which is even further out of scope.