Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New or Used SUV Recommendations
1 or1.5 liter 3 cylinder engines that won't even get you over Saddle Road without a struggle and with only a five to 7 year life span.
-------------------
These newer engines have as much power as many of the v6's from 5+ years ago. They will not struggle to get across Saddle.
If anybody is interested, the GSA auctions are live now:

https://gsaauctions.gov/

On left side, select "Hawaii"
I might add that when I purchased my new compact SUV from Kia they required insurance coverage before driving it off the lot. When I called my allstate insurance agent to cancel coverage on our escape and transfer it to the new Kia Seltos the insurance went up $50.00 a month from what I was paying on the Ford Escape which had both liability and comprehensive. I asked why and he said that the Seltos is so new that they don't have enough information yet on breakdown and repair costs with all the electronic bells and whistles it has. If I had had bought a brand new Subaru Crosstrek...it would have had no increase.
" . . . the insurance went up $50.00 a month"

Sounds like you need to be looking for a new insurance company, too. I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but that doesn't seem at all reasonable.
Your insurance went up because of the value of the new vehicle compared to the depreciated value of the old one. If you would have totaled the old one, they would have given you $2-3 thousand. Total the new one and it costs them over $20k.
We've been paying the same rate on our Ford Escape since we bought it new in 2005. It has never changed in 16 years except for $1.50 increase a month when paying it monthly. If they charge insurance rates based on replacement cost...then the last few years when the blue book value went to 0 they should have dropped the rates down...but they didn't.
While I'm on the subject of auto auctions, YOU could be the one driving David Hasselhof's Knight Rider car around Pahoa:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/950...-rider-car

(01-09-2021, 05:19 PM)macuu222 Wrote: ... which had both liability and comprehensive...

I'm assuming the new vehicle also has collision coverage.  That would cost about $50/month. Collision coverage might be optional if the car isn't financed, but it would be a bad idea not to have it.
(01-05-2021, 10:41 PM)oink Wrote: Toyota Rav4. Can get all wheel drive if needed. It has a 2.5 liter naturally aspirated engine (not turbo), 8 speed conventionally geared transmission (unless hybrid), two dealerships, and wonder reputation for long term reliability. Shouldn't be much over $25K for more base models.
We got the '08 V6.  It's a great reliable vehicle.  Rav4's are just broke in at 200k miles.  No problems on those Mountain View subdivision roads.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
"VancoverIslander Wrote:We got the '08 V6.  It's a great reliable vehicle.  Rav4's are just broke in at 200k miles.  No problems on those Mountain View subdivision roads.
Unfortunately the 08 was the only year for the V-6 although you can still get the Camry with it. The V-6 Camry was calling me, especially the TRD version. My wife has the current Rav4, 19,20,21. She's only had it a couple of months. It's a 21 mid grade. It's actually pretty darn peppy for a 2.5l naturally aspirated 4 banger with 8spd tranny. We looked at the other brands and it seems Toyota is the only naturally aspirated, non-CVT vehicle in it's class. We looked at Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Ford and Subaru. We drove the Subaru but I didn't like the pickup and feel of their CVT. We have a 2005 Hyundai Tucson with the V-6. It now has 189K and I think it will keep going for a good while but no turbo or CVT. We bought it new and have liked it. Mechanically it has held up well. The interior not so much. It seems I'm always fixing something on it now but it does have 189K and not all of those miles have been kind. The gas mileage kinda stinks. The Rav4 is getting very good mileage.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.