Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renewing our drivers licenses in Covid Pahoa
Anyone done this with sucess recently?
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Got mine in November of 2019 so I should be good through the Covid 26 pandemic.
(04-07-2021, 11:13 PM)birdmove Wrote: Anyone done this with sucess recently?
I did recently.  It was a bit painful. For the "real ID" you need redundant identification.  I bought my passport and mortgage statements.
They weren't  happy with my statements because I printed them from online....  they don't like that.  They wanted mailed originals.  So be warned.

So I had to make another tripwhich involved making an appointment.

Went online to make an appointment.  Couldn't do it.  Was told I had to make an appointment within 30 days of my expiring birthday.

Sizzle....

So I waited until the 30 day window and got an appointment for 60 days in the future.... which is a month after my license expired.

But

When I finally went in it got done rather quick.

Just be prepared for things to be very different.
How long are they going to keep up this BS? Especially now that they can get vaccinated?
Wife had an "appointment" for 12:40 yesterday. It said to be there 15 minutes early. Got there at 11:14. Total fustercluck. No-one out front to sign in. In the 45 minutes is so we waited, two people came out, and one went in. The person they took in had a 12:00 appointment, yet there were still others with an 11:00 appointment waiting. A man with major health problems had his appointment the day before, and he lacked some paperwork. They told him to get that paperwork and come back the next day (yesterday). He had been waiting forever. No-one for him to talk to at bc the DMV. He couldn't take it any longer, and left. I could see what was coming. My wife had had enough of this haphazard baloney, and left. We went to Ponchos Tacos in Paris and bought some good take home lunches.
I have to renew before Nov. 1st, but I will get it done. Think I'll bring a folding chair, a book, and a portable BBQ.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I've been tempted to just let my driver's license expire.
Thanks for the hint Rob. I need to review mine in a few months. I just went online and turned off paperless statements so the bank will have to mail me a mortgage statement or something the DMV will accept. I have a passport. If I show up with my current license, passport, and mortgage statement, is that enough to satisfy them?
(04-09-2021, 01:01 AM)terracore Wrote: Thanks for the hint Rob.  I need to review mine in a few months.  I just went online and turned off paperless statements so the bank will have to mail me a mortgage statement or something the DMV will accept.  I have a passport.  If I show up with my current license, passport, and mortgage statement, is that enough to satisfy them?

Social Security card, birth certificate and, if you want the newer star,  or whatever it is in order to be able to fly anywhere, some kind of bill showing your physical address, and not your PO Box f that's how you get your mail. Now, my wife says, that they should have  the first two items in the DMV computers. I'll be taking mine in anyway. Do you want to assume they have yours? Of course, wife must add their marriage certificate to that list. At least they do if they changed their maiden name when married.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Birth certificate must be the "official document" not the "decorative". Passport (book or card) is an acceptable substitute.

You can also get a "non-REAL" driver's license and use a passport for "Federal purposes" (TSA, courthouse, nuclear facilities).

Note that utility bills/bank statements must be less than 2 months old.

https://www.hawaiicounty.gov/departments...-documents
TSA will delay the Real ID compliant drivers license for air travel until 2023.  Hopefully by then Hawaii County will follow Honolulu and allow those of us who renewed our licenses with all of the Real ID requirements but without the star to update And replace our license online.  

The deadline was supposed to be Oct. 1, but it's now being postponed until May 3, 2023. 
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dea...d_nn_tw_ma