Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mayor looking at closing beaches.
It can be useful as a day-to-day gauge of trends. Knowing a higher/lower percentage of people are testing positive might help with the "considering". I'm not sure what closing the beaches would accomplish. The new cluster report sites no clusters from social gatherings, which are limited in size anyway.
(08-20-2021, 08:49 AM)kalianna Wrote: It can be useful as a day-to-day gauge of trends.  Knowing a higher/lower percentage of people are testing positive might help with the "considering".  I'm not sure what closing the beaches would accomplish.  The new cluster report sites no clusters from social gatherings, which are limited in size anyway.

Exactly - the test results should be treated as relative. They won't give you accurate numbers of infections but they will give you a good indication of what the trend is. I wouldn't call them BS.
Closing beaches, likely leading to more indoor gatherings rather than outdoors? NO. Mandatory testing of travelers, even if they've been vaccinated? NO.
Punishing good behavior is the wrong approach.
Testing only catches the infection rate for people who show up to be tested. It's not a real solution to anything except maybe a way to justify more restrictions.

HHSC has delayed their employee vaccination mandate, so now their doctors, nurses, and facilities can form new clusters.

We're losing the war. Maybe we deserve to lose.
So they cancelled Ironman till next February..... Governor though may have a hard time closing beaches with islands filled to capacity with tourists. Personally I feel that laying "outside" on a beach with trade winds constantly blowing is not a significant means of transmission for covid or any other virus. How is that different from tourists laying outside next to a  hotel pool which will still be allowed?
Governor though may have a hard time closing beaches with islands filled to capacity with tourists

Look no further than the contrast between last year and now. We have higher case counts now, yet somehow there are fewer restrictions.
"Personally I feel that laying "outside" on a beach with trade winds constantly blowing is not a significant means of transmission for covid or any other virus."

Yes, not to mention the benefits of sunshine (vitamin D) and exercise. And I know laying on the beach doesn't give you much exercise, but most people will at least take a walk along the beach or go for an occasional swim. Even walking from the car to your spot on the beach is more exercise than sitting in front of the tube. Well, maybe that depends on how many times you go back and forth to the fridge.

Risk/reward. They are getting it backwards.
Ige is an uncorrelated risk. He is able to make dumb decisions regardless of current events.
It's our illustrious mayor who wants to close down the beaches.
(08-21-2021, 02:13 AM)kalianna Wrote: It's our illustrious mayor who wants to close down the beaches.
You're right. Still has to go to Ige for approval to be part of the emergency proclamations, though, AFAIK.