Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Vaccinated People Spread The Delta Variant, CDC Says
I know of another anti vaxxer Qanon right wing nut job currently being intubated at Hilo Medical Center. Very sad.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
(09-24-2021, 02:44 PM)AaronM Wrote: Considering that he is elderly and overweight, which are two high risk groups, he should have been vaccinated.  He is also free to make his own healthcare choices.
Yes, he was at especially high risk. 

IMO every adult should get vaccinated, including those who have had Covid already.  I was just reading that in August and September so far, 9,000 Texans died from Covid 19.  40% of them were under age 60.
AaronM: He is also free to make his own healthcare choices.

birdmove: I know of another anti vaxxer Qanon right wing nut job currently being intubated at Hilo Medical Center. Very sad.

And my friend is still waiting for the surgery to remove his tumor because most of the ICU beds are still filled with non-vaxxed covid people. My friend is not free to make his own healthcare choices.
(09-25-2021, 12:46 AM)Punaperson Wrote: AaronM:  He is also free to make his own healthcare choices.

birdmove: I know of another anti vaxxer Qanon right wing nut job currently being intubated at Hilo Medical Center. Very sad.

And my friend is still waiting for the surgery to remove his tumor because most of the ICU beds are still filled with non-vaxxed covid people.  My friend is not free to make his own healthcare choices.

Just heard the person I mentioned has become much worse. I don"t think he is going to make it. Being a member of the anti Vaxxer club has harsh consequences. 
Jon in Keaau/HPP
(09-24-2021, 02:44 PM)AaronM Wrote: He is also free to make his own healthcare choices.

Freedom is worthless if the free are too underdeveloped to make good choices.
(09-25-2021, 12:46 AM)Punaperson Wrote: And my friend is still waiting for the surgery to remove his tumor because most of the ICU beds are still filled with non-vaxxed covid people.  My friend is not free to make his own healthcare choices.

Isn't that the truth? The people who choose to selfishly remain unvaccinated are not only causing themselves and their families to suffer but everyone else as well.

(09-25-2021, 02:49 AM)MyManao Wrote:
(09-24-2021, 02:44 PM)AaronM Wrote: He is also free to make his own healthcare choices.

Freedom is worthless if the free are too underdeveloped to make good choices.

Freedom allows people to make bad choices, they are free to do so, and people in a free country are able to point out how selfish and stupid they are. On the other hand, implying that they have to be developed in some manner in order to make good choices is not freedom. I suggest you find a way to rephrase your comment.
Just an observation (In retrospect it might be a bit of a rant also):
At the church I attend there is a surprisingly large MINORITY of members and staff who have elected to not get vaccinated. I'm not clear on their reasoning or even if the reasoning is consistent among those non-vaxers. I haven't heard anyone publicly espousing anti-vax rhetoric.

One of the unvaccinated staff got covid and was fairly sick for a couple of weeks but recovered without hospitalization. He is in his late 40s and is very socially active leading retreats and youth groups, etc. His father, also unvaccinated, who also attends the same church and may live with his son (I'm not clear on their living arrangements) also came down with covid at about the same time. I ASSUME he got it from his very active staff member son. Well he was hospitalized and subsequently died. I know nothing of the treatment he received. I'm guessing he was at least in his 70s. My feelings at the time, right or wrong, were that the son was at least partly complicit in his fathers death.

One of my former co-workers (same church) is in his mid 50s, a little overweight but not morbidly so. He is diabetic, and has had a previous heart attack several years back. He also declined vaccination, and he subsequently got covid. I thought he was foolish as he seemed to be in a fairly high risk group and held a position that involved frequent interactions with the public. He's recovered now but is still regaining strength. He spent a solid week in ICU and nearly died. He did get pneumonia during the course of the disease and had surgery to remove part of his lung. He retired a bit earlier than planned as a result. To me, a person of no medical credentials, it seemed like health wise he was a higher risk individual and a clear example of someone that should have been vaccinated.

We have friends that are elderly, well into their 80s. They declined to get vaccinated. They travel out of state to visit relatives and etc. frequently by both car and by air. He is a bit feeble and has parkinsons. They seemed like extreme examples of people who should be vaccinated. Well they both got covid. As soon as diagnosed they went to one of the Florida State centers where they are giving some multi-shot infusion that our governor has taken some grief over establishing. They also were given the shot by their doctor that's also been in the news that's supposed to be a horse wormer or something. Neither were hospitalized and both were fully recovered in a week. I was amazed. I'd figured they would get covid due to their lack of vaccinations and frequent travel and I figured it would probably kill at least the husband due to his age and physical issues. Boy was I wrong. Well I was half right as they did get covid. I take their quick recovery as a suggestion that some of these other treatments might be valid. Not a scientific observation but still... I believe this couple were the first people I know of that got infusion treatment and the other shot.

I was one of the first to get vaccinated (Moderna double shot) as I was eligible due to my age. My young bride had to wait for the next age level to be eligible but got vaccinated as soon as she could. It's been about 8 months for me so I probably will get a booster if I can. I had very minimal reactions to the original 2 shots. I don't know if my wife will rush to get a booster as the second shot (Moderna) really kicked her ass. She was pretty much down for 3 days.

I'm most definitely a pro-vaxer. But I'm most definitely not a pro forced vaxer. And yeah, I'm also one of those that gets a flu shot every year. At this point, if I get a break through infection I'll be trying to get that infusion from the State and that other shot.

I don't know if our FL Governor has made all of the correct decisions. I do know life is pretty normal here other than the rapidly increasing inflation and the continued influx of residents from more restrictive states which actually started when FL was early on one one of the easiest places for us old farts to get vaccinated, resident or not. I personally know several that came to FL to get vaccinated.

I still don't understand the reluctance of some people to get vaccinated, especially those in higher covid risk groups. It does concern me a bit that so many medical first responders and other medical professionals don't want the vaccination. What's with that???

I know this post hasn't been very Hawaii but I am a bit peeved that I haven't been able to fulfill my Hawaii longings. Last I checked my Vax card filled out by my Publix pharmacy, where I got my shots, wasn't accepted by Hawaii. That's all I have. I don't want to fly there just to be quarantined.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
As far as I know, (which around here doesn't count for much), the CDC has only approved boosters for Pfizer recipients.

Best to check before you get that 3rd shot of Moderna.
To oink: Please ask your church members why they went to the hospital when they got sick instead of going back to the church. And your elderly friends that went to the center for the multi-infusion treatment: a $20 vaccine for prevention, vs a $2100 treatment that needs specialized medical personnel to administer - all on our taxpayer dime. My empathy has run dry for those making foolish decisions as I watch my friend and his family wait for a chance for his surgery.

" I do know life is pretty normal here.." - does that mean the stats about the death/infection rates, the stories of stressed hospital staff, the school closures due to quarantine, etc., are false ?
Newsflash! Punaperson is running low on empathy.