Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Vaccinated People Spread The Delta Variant, CDC Says
Earlier today something got in my windpipe just enough it didn't feel like a strangle, but made me cough for like 5 minutes straight. I thought it might be covid.

I was like uh oh... don't want to put my home improvement projects on hold... what a bummer.

Last thing on my mind was worrying that I would actually get seriously ill from the delta variant given my health condition and vaccination status.

Yet people earlier in this thread are dropping "gems" like how we're so fortunate to be here because of the low covid rate or w/e.

Guess what? It's already endemic folks.

You will get some variant of this virus at some point, whether you are symptomatic or not.

I also highly suspect Asia will be opening up and HARD next year. Either Hawaii does too, or it gets left in the dust.
(10-27-2021, 05:46 AM)malahini Wrote: The complete inability for people to see what's going on here astounds me.

What is going on here?
I could tell a joke about covid19, but 99% probably won’t get it.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
(10-27-2021, 05:46 AM)malahini Wrote: "Those who don't exercise their rights, lose them."

I will merely comment that viruses and little things like climate change have nothing to do with anyone's rights.  It is my opinion that capitalism and the free market system are completely ill equipped to deal with the hard issues coming at us.  This is not ending, it is just barely beginning.  These actually are the good old days.
(10-26-2021, 09:22 PM)Rob Tucker Wrote: What I can't figure out is why, given the choice between being part of he solution or part of the problem, anyone would choose being part of the problem.

What's worse is that they seem proud of it.
(10-27-2021, 07:17 AM)Rob Tucker Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 05:46 AM)malahini Wrote: "Those who don't exercise their rights, lose them."

I will merely comment that viruses and little things like climate change have nothing to do with anyone's rights.  It is my opinion that capitalism and the free market system are completely ill equipped to deal with the hard issues coming at us.  This is not ending, it is just barely beginning.  These actually are the good old days.

Lol. So what's your solution then?

Even green energy technology relies on the market to be developed... and well brought to market.  Tongue

Tax incentives are why I had solar energy installed. The most effective policy tools all rely on using the market in the end. They merely make the technology more attractive through things like tax rebates. Electricity being so expensive here also creates a market incentive to not use power off of the grid if you can find a cheaper source.

You also don't even have to be a capitalist to believe that people have rights. There are a lot of people on the very far left who think the Covid restrictions in many places are beyond the pale. That and mandates as well.

As for rights there are two different arguments here. The justification behind restrictions and mandates are just that they would protect the rights of those who wish to be protected. At this point I don't believe this position can be reasonably defended. 

I simply believe that those who are at higher risk of having severe complications as a result of the aforementioned virus need to take some responsibility for themselves, especially at this point in time.

As I've mentioned before. At some point people will have to make decisions for themselves based on their own level of comfort given their personal risk profile. 

Ever hear of a cost-benefit analysis before?

In the end, why are you so interested in twisting someone's arm just to protect them from themselves? Sure being vaccinated almost certainly does reduce the level of viral replication in the population. However, it seems that it does not really do much to slow the spread within a population, or that's what it seems with the latest data coming out of places like Israel and Singapore, both with extremely high vaccination rates.

The debate is also very much still open in regards to how effective various government policies have been. I would not doubt that many did indeed slow down the spread of the virus. The question is, were they worth it given all of their side effects, not just the economic side effects, but the long term health effects on those who were never at much risk anyway.

We can't really know until the dust settles and we have a lot of good studies to rely on. Maybe I will be vindicated, maybe not.

I'm sure though, that you won't actually engage me in any sort of real debate here though. You'll just continue to recite meaningless platitudes about how the free market or whatever isn't a 100% bulletproof solution to every issue that faces mankind, and then give yourself a hearty pat on the back. 

That or someone else will reply and say something about how hospitalizations and death rates are higher in 'x' place with less restrictions. Which well, completely ignores what I'm saying.

Sorry if I'm a dick or w/e.
I installed solar PV because it was what worked best for me and I did not get any tax incentives.

I got vaccinated because I don't want to die from covid or possibly give it to someone else and have them die.

I want everyone else to get vaccinated so they are less likely to facilitate transmission of the disease to anyone else, particularly the significant number of people who can't get vaccinated or for whom vaccination is less effective, and have them die.

If people were only hurting themselves by not getting vaccinated I would literally be amused at their antics.

I do find the suggestion that anti-vaxers are doing any sort of rational "research" to be amusing. It doesn't make up for the harm they are causing though.
(10-27-2021, 09:12 AM)malahini Wrote: You also don't even have to be a capitalist to believe that people have rights..

What rights are you taking about? Have you seen the list of required by law vaccines a child must have before entering school? Before they are five years old..

Try look... https://health.hawaii.gov/docd/files/201...ummary.pdf

That's the Hawaii Health Department's Immunization Requirements Summary.  Which basically says you're infantile in your argument. Pathetic. Seriously, dude, grow up.
I installed solar PV because it was what worked best for me and I did not get any tax incentives.

Same here -- no incentives because no permits, which means my installation is "illegal". Do I have the "right" to pay for, install, and use my own electricity? It could be argued that this "illegal" activity takes place entirely on my own land, where it does not interact with the public, and therefore poses no danger to anyone but myself. I have no problem with people who refuse vaccination and isolate themselves from society; by those same standards, I would expect to undergo permitting/inspection of my electricity if it were tied to the grid.
Posted without comment, as a public service announcement:

The chance of getting a severe case of the COVD-19 virus increases if you have mental health issues, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
https://www.wpxi.com/news/trending/cdc-m...FDMWEN6SE/